1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Very light full-range cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jim Carr, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Due to a recent injury, I need to find the lightest cabs I can. I am a Greenboy user, but my 15/6/1 weighs in at over 60 lbs. :eek:

I play everything from Reggae to Country. I have a light rig for upright, but what I am seeking is something that can match or exceed my 15/6/1 for work with loud club bands.

Am I needing a pair 12/6/1's or a 12/6 and a 12sub? What about AudioKinesis? I see the Thunderchild 112 is 30 lbs and the 115 is 40, but I wonder if the lowend is big enough for "Island Music?" Anyone in North America using Barefaced's new line?

While I can afford those cabs, are there GB, GK, Bergantino, or Carvin cabs I might consider? I am not really in the position to DIY—but I need to match or exceed my current cab in a couple of lighter packages—Gee I wish Ron Anchak was still building! :D

I guess I am looking for two cabs, each 40 lbs or less that really deliver wide clean response, big lowend, and lots of power handling/volume. Efficiency, size, and price are not big concerns. :atoz:

Oy vey ist mir! :(

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Dude. Just call up one of greenboy's current builders and have them build you a couple fEARless F112's in okoume.

I played Dave Homer's F112, weighed 33 pounds.

3. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, my F112 in okoume weighs just over 30 #'s and is very compact and schleppable.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Check out the TC115-8 (37 lbs) that is reviewed in the Audiokinesis thread. I'm going to check it out this week.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    AudioKinesis may be one of a very few things out there that's going to meet or exceed and give you a substantial decrease in weight. They're basically studio monitors that are loud enough and beefy enough to gig with a bass. Long excursion and super smooth response.

Other option may be Barefaced. They're another one that is very highly engineered sonically and takes lightweight building to the cutting edge.

Other than those, you could obviously keep what you're familiar with by getting 12" based fearfuls, or fearless done in lightweight wood. The fearless would be like a smoother, more refined version of your fearful.

7. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    Gentlemen—thanks for the ideas. I hadn't considered fEARless and have no knowledge of the TC115-8.

Anyone playing reggae without 15/6 or 15/6+sub115?

8. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

It may not match your 15/6/1 but my okoume Bassic15 with the Faital is 32 pounds and absolutely amazing. I imagine two of them would be quite a powerful rig that's easy to carry.

I had it built with recessed handled on both sides and the top. This makes it easy to move in any situation.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385586051.348263.jpg

9. Mark Sacchetti

Mark Sacchetti Gold Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of audiokinesis !
    I have the Hathor 1544 and a Tc112 . Thetr light sound fantastic and deliver in live settings!

10. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

I have a pair of Baer ML 112s (its a 12/6). they weigh 36# each - sound superb! Lots of good 12/6 options out there - the Fearfuls as mentioned, I had an LDS 12/6 that I loved and still wonder why I sold it.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Jim, I hope you get over it soon.

Being an Acme fanatic I would suggest looking at Andy"s Neo offerings. If they are anything like my B2s, I've yet to have the good fortune to actually try one :bawl: , they'll sound great.

12. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

One word....Schroeder

13. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

+1

I have a 12/6 and 12 sub built by Dave in okume, with a couple of weight saving options (routed handles and aluminum grills). They weigh 34 and 26 pounds respectively, and the moderate size and side handles make them very easy to carry. You already know how they sound.

14. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Nowhere even near the same class.....not even close.

15. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Since the 15/6/1 works for you, have you tried a dolly? That might get you by until you get a new rig that meets your needs.

16. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

The Traynor TC115 NEO... i found fretty sounding there is no horn in the cab but it sure sounds like there is.Fairly decent bottom end nice and light.

17. abarson

abarson

I tried a (used) Genz Benz Focus 112 yesterday, and when I picked it up I thought they'd left out the driver! I thought it sounded good, and a pair should be good for most gigs.
    Oh, just noticed the reggae comment! Maybe the Focus 115, then?

I'm totally with you on the injury-driven-search-for-light-gear, and hope you're on the mend.

18. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    The current generation 8-ohm TC115 is 37 pounds, just for the record. The Hathor 1544 mentioned by Mark Sacchetti is 34 pounds.

Now don't expect my relatively compact cabs to match Greenboy's designs for low-end weight and authority, at least not right out of the box. That's what I traded off to get the size and weight down. But EQ and amplifier power can probably make up at least some of the difference. Of course that goes for any lightweight cab that has sufficient power handling (both thermal and mechanical) to handle some low-end boostage, allowing you to effectively trade off cab size and weight for amplifier size and weight (which these days can result in a much smaller size and weight penalty).

19. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    Yes, that's what I'm doing, and getting help lifting the cab into my wagon. I just hate to be dependent, and suppose it is part of accepting that I am nearly 64, haha!

In any case, I think that the 12/6 and 112sub look pretty light—but I haven't seen all the posts above, yet. :cool:

20. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Fearless is a great idea for going lightweight, having full range response, and absolutely the best tone! My Greenboy Audio Fearless 210 uses drivers with high excursion capability. It can take 900+ watts @ 4ohms, weighs 46 pounds and gets as loud as a good 410. Excellent mobile form factor. Good for when there is no house PA support.

My review, pics, sound sample here -> www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/fearless-f210-955149/index4.html#141

[​IMG]

If you have house PA support, a lighter cab with the right components will do fine. My Fearless 110 takes 500+ watts @ 8ohm, is as loud as a good 210 and weighs 31 lbs. Sounds the same as the F210.

My review, pics, sound samples - > www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/bad-fearless-110-greenboy-goes-even-smaller-950735/index2.html#57

[​IMG]

21. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    Wow, Duke, thanks. I do understand well what you are saying, and I am quite used to EQing for my fEARfuls in a way that would look to most as extreme. I use an M9 carbine or a GK mb800 for my electric gigs—so I have power to push that kind of low bumped curve into 8, 4, or 2 ohms.

Can the TC115-8 be configured as upright friendly? I seem to recall that it can. I will check the BG reviews. Thanks! :cool: