1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Very Odd Pickup Problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blaze17, Feb 1, 2013.

1. blaze17

blaze17

Just got a used Ibanez BTB675 with the Bartolini mk2 pickups. Neck pickup works fine. Bridge pickup only works on the D and G strings! The B, E, and A strings are barely audible.:confused:

2. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Those pickups are likely in-line humbuckers, with one coil covering your BEA and the other covering the DG, and the BEA coil broke. I don't know if it's repairable, because the pickup might be filled with epoxy, which can't be easily dissolved to get to the coils.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Check the bottom of the pickup. It might have terminals with wires jumping from one coil to the other. See if they are broken.

Otherwise you need a new pickup.

4. Cadfael

Cadfael

Might be a short cut somewhere???
    Surely is serial wired?
    A broken coil would mean no signal at all ...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. unclebass

unclebass

check pickups where wire leaves pickup for pots. sometimes pickup is o.k., but loses contact internally. found this happened on my fender, resoldered over entire connection, solved problem completely. use ohm meter and check for resistance differences at pickup and at wire leaving pickup. cheap and easy repair, better than replacement for simple contact problem.

7. blaze17

blaze17

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the pickup out and it's fully epoxy sealed so I guess that's that. I'm assuming the thinner black wire is a shield/ground wire.

Attached Files:

8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Looks like black wire came loose-
    if you're careful, may be able to chip/cut epoxy
    enough to expose terminal, then re-solder connection.
    Worth a try probably.