Very specific big split question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Axonic Rot, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Axonic Rot

Axonic Rot

First I have to explain I guess:

I'm doing something rather unusual with my basses. My four string bass has two outputs. A Dimarzio model P with it's own 500k volume and output and a dimarzio area J with it's own volume and output. They have 100% separate circuits other than being grounded to the bridge.

The area J goes to a 6505+ guitar amp for high gain tone and the model P goes into a DI with the ground lifted where it gets sent through a traditional bass signal chain.

My six string has been collecting dust because the pickups I keep trying do not hit the front end of the guitar amp right to sound good. I have an EMG in the neck position now for the bass rig side of things and I'm thinking of putting a Nordstrand big split in its own circuit in the bridge. (Since the EMG won't be grounded to the bridge it will be free of needing to be lifted :hyper:.)

I love the area J, it tries to get a J tone and cancel hum, but I think it may be just slightly mellower, but still very thin and J-like. The nordstrand is the only "J-like" thing that will fit in my route. It's supposed to be fatter and that scares me, if it's too different from what I'm experiencing with the area J it's not going to work out.

Is the big split mid centric and extremely bright like J's should be? I searched around and read nearly every thread on here about the Nordstrands and read so many things that made me question whether I should take the risk. If it's too mellow or thick compared to a J, or a lot less mid centric or not as clear it's of no use to me.

Any input is appreciated! :help: