1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Very specific big split question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Axonic Rot, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Axonic Rot

Axonic Rot

First I have to explain I guess:

I'm doing something rather unusual with my basses. My four string bass has two outputs. A Dimarzio model P with it's own 500k volume and output and a dimarzio area J with it's own volume and output. They have 100% separate circuits other than being grounded to the bridge.

The area J goes to a 6505+ guitar amp for high gain tone and the model P goes into a DI with the ground lifted where it gets sent through a traditional bass signal chain.

My six string has been collecting dust because the pickups I keep trying do not hit the front end of the guitar amp right to sound good. I have an EMG in the neck position now for the bass rig side of things and I'm thinking of putting a Nordstrand big split in its own circuit in the bridge. (Since the EMG won't be grounded to the bridge it will be free of needing to be lifted :hyper:.)

I love the area J, it tries to get a J tone and cancel hum, but I think it may be just slightly mellower, but still very thin and J-like. The nordstrand is the only "J-like" thing that will fit in my route. It's supposed to be fatter and that scares me, if it's too different from what I'm experiencing with the area J it's not going to work out.

Is the big split mid centric and extremely bright like J's should be? I searched around and read nearly every thread on here about the Nordstrands and read so many things that made me question whether I should take the risk. If it's too mellow or thick compared to a J, or a lot less mid centric or not as clear it's of no use to me.

Any input is appreciated! :help: