Very strange Classifieds Experience

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help Desk' started by Fletz, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    So ... there was/is a bass on the classified section thats been on for a while. Before Christmas I reached out to the seller with an offer. He said price was firm. Totally cool - I walked away. A week or two later, it was still available and I asked him to email me some pictures of things that were not in the listing. He did and we exhanged an email or two after. There was still no flexibility in his price or other options so I decided to think about it a bit longer. Spending betwen $500 and $1500 on an instrument shouldn't be done in haste (I've done that too many times! :hyper: )

This morning, after researching and thinking and comparing, I finally decded to pull the trigger. I sent him this message:

"OK, after a couple weeks of arguing with myself, I am in! ... [deal details deleted for anonimity] Confirm - near mint condition. Only nick is the little one on the headstock. OHSC (or some HSC). Action good, no neck issues. Thanks! Send me your paypal... "

His response was:
    "This went on too long. So the bass is not available to you."

Wait. What?!?

I totally respect the right of the seller to choose who he sells to, but that seems a little strange, no? There was no jerking around - I was trying to appropriately negotiate in our original back and forth, and honestly, as you can see above, I am not even asking for a lower price. I was just confirming the condition. I was going to pay asking price. I have a perfect buy/sell score here with over 30 deals.

Anyway, very strange. Had to share. (Note: names and details are not posted here to protect the seller. I can only wish him luck in his pursuits).
  2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

The seller didnt look like this did he?

[​IMG]
  3. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I thought the same thing.
  4. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    Make him a higher offer and if he/she agree, you tell him/her "Sorry, it´s too late to buy it from you"
  5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

no comment for fear of possible future rejection, from possible future seller. :ninja:
  6. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    That is a little bit of genius.
  7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. To not sell to a willing buyer is stupid ... IMHO.
  8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

No bass for you!
  9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Hey, at least he replied. What I don't like is when you PM a seller with a legitimate question and they don't even bother to reply.

If somebody PM's me on anything I'm selling, I always reply as quickly and completely as possible. Even if I get a question about something that has already sold. Lack of communication is a cardinal sin in my view.

Just speculating, but he/she probably was concerned that you'd be "too picky" about the condition, and didn't want to bother with you. Of course you were within your rights to ask the questions. And I guess he/she was within their rights not to sell it to you. One of the problems with the internet is that without face-to-face (or telephone) contact, people often interpret something minor differently than it was intended. Something probably bothered him/her, even though your intent wasn't meant to be how they "read" it.
  10. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like he thought you were jerking him around and now it's time for your punishment.
  11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

How about when they reply with a snarky answer, like you are some kind of dumbass for asking? I had that recently happen and wound up not buying the bass.
  12. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

The same described condition in a classified post can unfortunately vary greatly in reality. By you asking very detailed questions and expecting honest, committed answers, you may have scared this guy off. IMHO - that's to your benefit in the end and may have saved you a case of buyer’s remorse.
  13. bassteban

bassteban

Borderline d-baggery on seller's part. If he's like this w/all potential buyers, he may sit on the bass awhile. I'd rather not deal w/such characters.
  14. pfox14

pfox14

He probably did you a favor.
  15. casper_morgan

casper_morgan

Yeah I'm thinking that there is something actually wrong wit the bass and since you were so thorough with your questions he probably knew you would probably give him some problems (ie asking for a refund or possibly even risk some kind of legal action against him). IMO you dodged a bullet.
  16. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

Yup. I'm not taking your money for the item I want to sell, even at my full asking price. That'll show ya!
  17. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Wow, I would run from that seller as fast as possible. If he's that cranky about dialogue prior to the transaction then any issues that may arise once shipping has occurred will obviously be non negotiable. There is absolutely no need to willingly enter into a PITA transaction with anyone as there are many other sellers out there who are more than willing to work with you before and after the deal is done.
  18. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Maybe a bit hard to say, but I would have the done if I were the seller.. Cause like you said : for him it sounded like he was messing around...

19. Arch58

Arch58 Supporting Member

I had the same kind of experience with the same seller. I wanted him to get me a shipping quote to my location and he replied with I'm not ready to ship the bass yet. I asked if he was only looking for a local sale and he replied no. I just didn't get it. I was ready to buy also, oh well, there it still sits.
  20. t77mackie

t77mackie

OOOooh! Can I steal that line and not give you credit? Or did you already do that....

Back to the topic; it seems to me that the seller is probably hiding something about the bass that will be caught by your persnicketyness and cause a problem after the sale. Or not. IDK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.