VERY upset at new Fender Geddy Lee bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bebertq, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bebertq

bebertq

Hello everyone,

I'm a new forum member, lurking for some time, happy to be here!

However, I would've liked my first post to be a more positive one, but i'm very upset at my new purchase and I would like to receive some input.

I ordered a Fender Geddy Lee bass from an online music store at the other end of the country, and I am astonished to see this bass left the factory! The bridge is not straight, and the strings are absolutely not centered when looking from above. Needless to say this doesn't feel right at all and is, to me, unacceptable.

This is a 900$ instrument, and not taking into account that the bass was made in Mexico, I feel that I have been totally ripped off. How could quality control let this pass through?

Am I asking for too much?

Should I bring my case to the online store (and possibly argue about it) and have it replaced ASAP?

Here are some pics :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Modern Growl

Modern Growl

Simple - return it / exchange it.

All better :)
  3. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

If you got it from Musician's Friend then send it back. They're pretty good about returns and you have a legitimate complaint.
  4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Absolutely. Just about any reputable online store has a return policy. That instrument is clearly defective. This will probably not be the hassle you're imagining. Give them a call and tell them what's up.

I imagine it's just a fluke, and if you get it exchanged, the replacement won't be like that. A buddy of mine has played a Geddy for years and absolutely loves it.

Oh, and welcome to TB!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

My flippant response is "it looks like an original mid '70s Fender did when new".

However, if it were me, I'd have contacted the retailer first instead of starting with TB. Absolutely, let the seller know it's unacceptable.

John
  7. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Yes, that is not acceptable. Id send it back and notify Fender as well.
  8. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Does it really say MIM on it?

Grab a older japan made one.
  9. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    You don't show the nut - is it cut correctly? I'm willing to be that if you loosen the strings, then loosen the neck screws you can move the neck sideways, then tighten it back down. One "feature" of a bolt-on neck, especially Fenders :D

But no shame is sending it back...
  10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

I think that at least part of the problem is that the neck is not correctly seated in the pocket (body cavity in which the neck sits)—as stated above.

Sit the bass face down on a towel with the strings a bit slackened—but not sagging. Using the right sized phillips head screwdriver, loosen the 4 screws holding the neck on—don't remove them, just loosen them a couple of turns.

Now, pick up the instrument and by eye, re-align the neck in the pocket. Don't be afraid to gently whack the neck with the palm of your hand until is goes where you want it. Sight from the nut and from the bridge. Be sure the strings have enough tension to show where they will be when every thing is back to normal tension.

Next, gently lay the bass back down, face down, and re-tighten the neck screws to "good and snug." Retune and check. Repeat if it is not right.
  11. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

That's pretty bad. My Squier Affinity Jazz bass is off on the bridge, just a little, nothing I can't fix, if I want and nothing like what you are showing. However, it is a low line instrument, a few minor flaws I expect and can live with. But that, on a $900 instrument. I say return it, even if you have to raise a fuss(but likely and hopefully you won't). I'd be upset too. To put it mildly.
  12. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

I find it hard that this bass went thru Fender's quality control and shipped like that to the dealer, shame on you Fender.
  13. elgecko

elgecko

The neck alignment can be easily remedied and is not a big deal. The bridge/pickup is what it is. I recommend you return it then take your money to a local store where you can find one that meets your requirements.
  14. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Bebertq:

First of all, welcome to TB!

Regarding the alignment of the strings over the neck, that is always one of the first things I look for when examining a bass. I realize that you did not have the opportunity to do that, so I agree with the other posters that you have a very legitimate complaint. Return that bass!

I recently bought a new US made Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling bass from a music store that was located half way across the country. Before I pulled out my VISA card, I spent considerable time chatting with the salesman, asking him specific questions, string alignment being one of them.

I hope your transaction ultimately ends up being a positive one.
  15. bassarama

bassarama Supporting Member

Too bad.

You failed to show one single picture of the nut ?????

It is obvious the BadAss bridge was done as a hack job as the E string does not pass through the poles on the bridge for starters. maybe someone took the original bridge off ( becuase every Geddy Lee I have seen was perfect ) and took it because it was slotted correctly.

Also how the nut is slotted is as critical as the bridge.

regular Fender bridges are more forgiving, but not the Bad Ass . the saddle is a throwaway if not done correctlly.

Return the bass.

I had a pro repairman ruin 2 BadAss bridges because he did not slot the bridge correctly and the nut.......

This is rare for Fender to let go of...something is not right here.

GOOD LUCK
  16. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a Real Tomato Supporting Member

Is the a CIJ Geddy? It appears to have the truss rod adjustment at the body, which I believe the new MIM's do not.
  17. elgecko

elgecko

At which point is he no longer considered a "pro". After three?

:p
  18. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Ask Geddy to put his personal greetings on it and sell it for $5000.
  19. morgansterne

morgansterne

grab a ruler or straightedge to check for the straightness of the neck, too. My jazz bass has a crook in the neck which resulted in the g string being much too close to the edge of the fretboard and my left hand would push it right off the edge. Several store employees looked at it and swore it was fine; their repairman checked the neck, moved the bridge over slightly and made it playable again.
    Mine was already twenty years old, though -- in your case, return it!
  20. richntiff

richntiff

That's absolutely pathetic - send it back.
  21. NewtoBass33

NewtoBass33

HAHA. I laughed out loud on this one! Lmfao its kind of like if a doctor whos job is to cut off wounded legs keept loping off uninjured one and people still go to him. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.