Very weird problem with my Dr. Bass cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bolophonic, Mar 29, 2014.

1. bolophonic

bolophonic

I am running a GK 700 RB-II through a Dr. Bass 2460 Neo cab and I noticed a strange sizzling noise coming from the rig on certain notes... A bizarre distortion. I thought that maybe I had fried the horn or something, but then I noticed that the sound was coming from the back of the cab. I sounded an F# and realized that the air coming out of the empty cord jack was basically sounding a raspberry. If I plug the hole lightly with my fingertip, it completely disappears.
  2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

YUP. That's why he sent plugs for them along with new cabs.
  3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Weird! I never knew that.
  4. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I thought it might be Serio's conscience seeping out from the manner he 's handled many previous customers . He owes David Scwab big time for taking focus off his antics for a while.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Make that Schwab .
  7. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

That would the good doctor actually HAS conscience...
  8. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Here's where else these cabs rattle:
    * This took a while to find; the L-pad for the attenuator has a ceramic face that is crimped to the metal case; this piece can rattle under highish volumes, the fix is to gently re-crimp the tab on the metal case to the ceramic section without breaking the ceramic

* The mounting nut on the tweeter control can also get loose and cause a different rattle; I used some 242 blue Loctite on this thread to prevent this in the future
    * If you change drivers, you must scrape all the old speaker paper gasket material before installation; they can vibrate like crazy if the cab face is not smooth
    * Once the grill is just right it won't rattle however you may have to move the position around so that the perforations are under the screw holes just enough
    * Oddly enough, I often times use the Speakon jack and don't hear any noise from the open 1/4" jack; my other 1/4" jack came with a plug so maybe it only does it if both are unplugged

BTW, I just went through all of these this past week after changing both speakers due to an opening bands mis use of the dangerous SM400 extreme low frequency reproduction (lack of HPF)
  9. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Same exact thing happens to my Dr. Bass 115FL. I used the 1/4" jack once and then when I was using a speak-on, I also heard that noise. I lost the little plug though so I use a foam ear plug to stop it.

I guess when you are pushing so much in a small space it goes where ever it can.
  10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Jacks with sealed backs are available to mitigate this....aftermarket, not from Dr.Bass obviously.

A foam earplug stuck in the whole and allowed to expand is a cheap fix.
  11. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings from the North,

I can remember waisting a bit of time/$ the first time going into the recording studio with mine before figuring that out. I thought it was just mine lol.

Rezdog
  12. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

The plastic plugs were slick...they have to be pretty cheap to buy-anyone know where they might sell them?
  13. bolophonic

bolophonic

I am supposed to sit in with a new band this afternoon, so I will definitely jam an earplug in there today.
  14. bolophonic

bolophonic

Thanks for the info. Sorry your cab needed an overhaul.
  15. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Glad to help and I learned a lesson which is after 30 years of positive equipment sharing; mean spirited openers and drunks are not to be trusted.
  16. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Going back a bit-does anyone know where they sell the "plastic/nylon" speaker jack plugs?
  17. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

18. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

I wonder if those are solid?