1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

(very) weird question about vocals

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit

So there was this question that came in my mind. Maybe someone could explain it to me.

Thing is, I've been wondering what would happen if a band would change his vocalist that sings in a different key than the previous one.

For example : Jens Kidman (Meshuggah) sings in Bb. Let's say he would leave the band and they would get somebody who sings in E.

What does this mean for their old songs with Jens? Cause if I'm correct, the singer indicates in which key a band plays, right?

So if this would be a big change for the singer, does this mean they have the play the older songs in a different key or does stay the same?
  2. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

They would keep the songs in their original key unless the vocalists range couldn't accommodate it. For example, Rush now plays The Temples Of Syrinx in D instead of E because of Geddy's age. Of course, they just grab guitars tuned down a whole step.
  3. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Not so much a particular key. More a question of the vocalists range...can they hit the highest or lowest notes in a given tunes current key.
  4. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Do singers in bands only sing in one key? Doesn't it depend on the song? I'm not a vocalist and I'm barely in a band, so I have no idea.
  5. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

No. Singers sing in whatever key the song is in, as long as they can hit the notes.
  6. generation zero

generation zero

Are there singers who know what notes they are singing, or what key the song is in? I haven't run across any of those yet... LOL!
  7. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

One of the downsides of being a vocalist. As you get older, your range drops, no matter how careful you are with your voice. Being a singer myself, I can't hit the same high notes as easily now at age 49 as I could when I was 25. Sucks actually but what can you do. At least an instrumentalist should be able to play as well at 60 as they did at 20 (barring arthritis/carpal tunnel/back problems etc)
  8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit

xD it's like you can read my mind xD

9. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit

Okay, well I have seen some bands that had a singer that was just not getting along with the band. Mostly the singer was too high pitched.. Is this a mistake from the rest of the band or just a wrong singer at the wrong band?
  10. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Wrong singer. Now if you brought a female vocalist in to sing Johnny Cash tunes, then there you go.

Every band has some lower songs and some higher ones. That is why vocalist with a good 3+ octave range get work. What kind of stuff is your band playing?
  11. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit

I used to play some Progressive Metal stuff. We mainly played in Drop A. We had a singer that could keep up really well but after we had another singer it just wasted.

Way too high pitched and we eventually didn't knew how it would work out. So we stopped with that and every now and then we do some instrumental stuff only in rehearsel stages though :p

12. Itzayana

Itzayana

If you can only sing in one key, you are not a vocalist.
    Maybe you are a singer but not a vocalist.
    A vocalist has the ability to use voice as an instrument.
    Would you want a keyboard player, a guitar player, horn player, or a bass player who could only play in one key? Of course not. Everything would sound pretty much the same.
  13. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Keep looking. The right vocalist will come around. Good luck.

Don't change the keys of your music though. Prog is tough enough on its own. No need to make it harder.
  14. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit

I will in the future ;) We're a bit busy at the moment : work / house / travelings etc. etc. But we sure will look out for the right one, thanks a lot! :)

15. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit

I've seen some threads here on TB about people who play in bands who can only play in one or two keys :p

I remember a man told me that his guitar players only (could) play in C and G.. Kinda weird, not?

16. duff beer

duff beer

Bob Seger recorded Night Moves in G#. Youtube videos from performances 10 or so years ago are in G. Last year he was on The Voice and sang it in F#.

Same artist, and he has performed the song in 3 different keys over the years.
  17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

I would say almost the exact opposite here.

Id think a singer would have the ability to sing in multiple keys, or with some range.
    Whereas a vocalist would have the ability to use voice as an instrument, even if that instrument only has a one octave range.
    Those guys who growl out cookie monter "vocals" in metal bands arent singing, but theyre using their voice as an instrument.
    Back when I had a terrible voice I'd never refer to myself as a singer, but as a vocalist.

If that makes sense.
    IMO, YMMV