Victor Wootens reenactment to the Haiti earthquake

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassguy87564, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

I am going to start off by saying the is my review of this video. I want to say I am a huge fan of Victor Wooten and his philosophy off the batt so everyone knows. Even with some of the negative things I am going to say about the video I really did enjoy this video. For everyone who has watch the video yet, cause it's pretty new, here is the link for your watching purposes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NerjNLskk8
    Before I begin my review I believe this might be said so I am going to smash it before it is. I am no where close to as good as Victor Wooten and hope by my 70's I will be play somewhere around as good as him (I'm 23 right now and I figure that by 80 my fingers will have a hard time moving if I make it that far). I really have no say in his play just because I am no where as good as him. Okay that being said, now on with my review.

From the beginning of this video I have felt a large resemblance to his performance of the waterfall. I am referring to another video of Victor Wooten, but I have a feeling from knowing his style, watching him play live, and know his song style that he has played something like this before. When I am talking about this I am mostly referring to the form. In the waterfall video Wooten begins with soft sounds establishing a key. In the Haiti video he begins soft establishing a key. Then in the waterfall video he goes into a major motif that consist of two parts. Then in the Haiti video he goes into a minor motif that consist of two parts. After that, in the waterfall video, he begins untuning his bass. After that, in the Haiti video, he begins to untune his bass. This is the only place where I heard a change in the form. In the waterfall video he brings back the original motif. The Haiti video instead goes to a part that vaguely sounds like the Amazing Grace solo.

Okay now on to the stuff I liked about this video. I did enjoy his sound effects for the earthquake (even though an earthquake apparently sound quite similar to a waterfall but I wouldn't know because I have only heard a waterfall before and the only earthquake the shook NYC I was sleeping through because I go to sleep at 5am so who am I to judge). I feel that Wooten did get confusion across, that I would believe to happen during a horrific earthquake that did happen in Haiti, with a Victa touch. Lastly I would like to add that he showed his incredible ability to detune the bass then get it back in-tune on stage. Even though I said I liked this ability I also want to add I hope he does not over use this. I hope he does not over use this technique for ever free jam he does. If he does It might just end up being the same as Wooten flipping his bass at the same time as Reggi to end a song. I don't want that to happen cause its so amazing.

Now I would like to talk about his talk at the end of the video. I will like to start this off by saying that this is that part that redeemed the video for me. When I first saw him play on the video I thought to my self I have seen this done before by him. But after listening to him talk I felt that his notes were much more inspired. The way he talks about how all of his gigs really led up to the one he was play now kinda puts what I said before to shame. Instead of making what he was playing more of just typical Victor Wooten licks; he made it seem what he was playing was more from the heart (which it was). I just felt he was so down to earth and understood what is going on. Made me wish he was more aggressive about his world views, but that might end up changing the person he is and I don't want that. I would like to add also I wish I got to watch the video that was played because after Wooten said,"I think this beautiful film, that is being put together, can say it better then I could ever" I really wanted to know what was in that video. I just thought his word were really "down to earth" and so insightful I just want to thank him in person for the wisdom he has bestowed onto me (this also includes the bass stuff as well:D).

After all this all I really want to add is I hope that Victa's licks don't become like a stock to him to the point where you can identify them as "The Lick"(please search that on youtube if you haven't seen already). Say that I feel like my hopes are being stomped on but there is still tomorrow to prove me wrong.

Okay now everyone tell me how wrong I am :bassist:.

O god I can't edit the title well thats what I get for writing this at 3:30 in the morning.

2. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

3. oniman7

oniman7

I'm sorry, but most of that just sounded like noise and didn't resemble an earthquake to me and he spent a lot of time doing vibrato on notes that had already died in the beginning but continued making scratchy sounds. I did think the part where he detuned sounded like a massive monster moving through the earth but a lot of what he did sounded very unnecessary.

He's a very talented guy and I get it was an interpretation as well as music but it wasn't for me.