Victor Wooten's Word and Tones Tour

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Chazinroch, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

I caught the show in Rochester NY last night and it was fabulous.
    Victor Wooten, Steve Bailey, Anthony Wellington and Dave Welsch all on bass. Really a great show and Krystal Peterson was a knockout on vocals.

Great to see Victor play bass, double bass, cello, and guitar. Steve played his Warwick signature fret less and fretted basses, EUB, keys and trombone. Anthony played bass, keys and guitar and Dave played bass, keys and trumpet.

Everyone got a solo spot and btw both drummers killed!!!

See this tour if you get an opportunity.

2. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

KP was absolutely amazing. That point where it was just her sultry voice and the kick drum towards the end of Overjoyed, made the hair stand up on my neck! :eek: :D

3. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

I agree, she stole the show in my opinion!

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Glad to hear the positive review - I'm seeing them tomorrow! Can't wait!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

They're coming to Yoshi's Oakland in February. May have to tip over there.

7. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

They are going to be in Buffalo Saturday night and if I didn't already have a gig I'd make the trip to see them again.

8. hrodbert696

Just saw the tour last night in Concord, NH. Fantastic show! The whole stage just oozed charisma. I went with my wife, who is no bassist, and she enjoyed it, which tells you something. She commented on how ego-free the whole performance was; after taking center stage to perform a mind-numbingly brilliant solo piece on his 6-string fretless, Steve Bailey was tapping a drum stick on a mic stand later in the show, just giving someone else's song a little extra percussion.

One thing I thing I noticed - it was largely an audience of musicians. Not people I knew personally, for the most part, but you could just tell. I think it's the only concert I've been too where people lined up at the edge of the stage before it began to inspect the gear setups.

Yes, including me...
    [​IMG]

After the show...
    [​IMG]

9. Way1994

Way1994

I saw the show last night. Victor's band was spot on. Excellent balance and interaction with the half full theater, what a shame. The intro group Jimmy Herring band, I would pass, never want to hear that part of the show again. They play like a garage band with new toys and compete to see who can play the loudest, no definition in sound. They played much too long, 15 minutes would have done it for me. Sorry Victor the Jimmy Herring band ruined what would have been a great show. Victor needs no warm up band! We paid to see Victor!

10. hrodbert696

Well, I figured I would pass over the Herring Band in eloquent silence, but... yeah. I do credit its members with excellent chops, and they had some nice moments, but their segment was an hour and a half of interminable jamming that left me checking my watch frequently.

11. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

The Herring Band did not play the Rochester show. I guess I didn't miss much. I took my wife as well (or she really took me as a birthday gift). She loved it as well. I'd say at least 1/2 of the audience were musicians. Plenty of gear to check out. I was about 3 feet from the front center stage and checked out every bit of gear.

12. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

What! Jimmy Herring and his band are incredible. One of my absolute favorites. Saw him with his band a few years back, with Greg Osby and Scott Kinsey. Also saw Jimmy in the Lenny White Band performing Lenny's Anomaly material. I know Jeff Sipe is still in his band. His album from 2008, Lifeboat, and his newest one, Subject To Change Without Notice are both incredible.

13. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Just saw the last night of the tour tonight in Albany NY. I've seen Victor before, and IMO he can be hit or miss. Sometimes the whole band just wants to show off their speedy playing. Not tonight. This was a very good, very musical concert. Victor even played what I believe was an electric cello (and, at one point, a guitar), but my biggest surprise was when Steve Bailey pulled out a trombone! The Jimmy Herring band was also excellent, and both bands featured a lot of segments with musicians from the other band sitting in. I would agree that for an opening band the Herring band did play a rather lengthy set, and it was not as entertaining as the Wooten set, in that it wasn't so much about catchy songs and interaction with the audience, but more of a hardcore jazz fusion set, with some nice blues moments too. Not as accessible, in other words, but still quite good.