Video of me playing a gig. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheEndIsNYE, Dec 31, 2013.

1. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Hey guys, so I played my second show ever a couple nights ago and my friend managed to film most of my set.

It'd be cool if you all gave your thoughts and yeah.

I slopped up a little because my anxiety was consuming me bad. I was supposed to play a 30 minute set but because I was freaking out so much internally I cut it short and I thought I kept screwing up horribly. After watching this, I realize people were right that I played good, well at least in their opinion.
  2. sobie18

sobie18

I like to tune in private rather than blast my mess across the stage. It's what I do and it works.

Are you in a band? Are you looking for a band? I'd like to hear you in a band situation with these riffs.
  3. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I have been playing most of my life and never had the desire to do a 11 minute bass solo. But I got to give it to you that you got on stage and did it. Rock on.
  4. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Yeah, I'm in a Death Metal band with a couple of friends. We're working on our demo but we don't really have much to put out except one song we finished.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Thanks dude!

Everyone in the crowd treated me really nice and enjoyed talking to me, which is surprising IMO because I never expected interacting with them/ Looking back, it was a great time.
  7. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

the fact that you even picked up a bass puts you head and shoulders above most music enthusiasts in this generation. just keep practicing your butt off and play with a band no matter what kind of music you're into. don't be afraid to learn other styles like funk and jazz too. it will only improve with time and practice. the important thing is to play as often as possible. it sounded great and i thought you rocked. :bassist:
  8. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Thanks guy!
  9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

You asked. No..don't like it at all....sorry.
  10. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Nah dude, don't be. No need to be sorry about your opinion; different strokes for different folks.
  11. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Many hails. \m/

Some of those bits seem like they need some practice, but I think you already knew that.

What I would like to suggest is that you use this video to refine the composition itself - the first thing I noticed is how loud your knucklehead friends are. The din of their yammering is constant throughout, but there are points where you COMMAND THEM with your music to stop their asinine conversation and PAY ATTENTION. You hold it for a bit and then lose them.

I think you can take this from a 10 minute parlor trick to a real show stopper, simply by listening to them. The parts where you lose the crowd? Drop those segments from the song. String together just those passages that take their breath away, and you'll leave them breathless.

Epic **** though, I look forward to hearing this piece progress.
  12. Crazyeelboy

Crazyeelboy Gold Supporting Member

Wow, that takes a lot of guts to get up and do a solo gig like that! You really ought to get those songs together with a band or at least a drummer to drive rhythm. The most obvious thing, though, is that you didn't have your bass, gear and set together in an organized way. You really ought to be able to hit the stage, say hello, get going into the music and then transition from song to song seamlessly. That will greatly improve the performance experience.
  13. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

Thats not very nice. He is only 18. My advice for you on bass is since you do have the balls to get up by yourself and solo , just don't get too cocky cause there is always someone better. Also we are just bass players,were not saving lives. You definitely have that Cliff Burton thing goin on. When you get doing songs with a band keep it solid. Good job keep it up! Don't listen to the Bully.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Cons: A little long-winded. Bass solos generally get kind of boring after a minute or so.
    Try to write some smoother transitions between the individual parts rather than just pausing.
    Too much distortion. I couldn't even tell what you were doing during some of the distorted parts.

Pros: It took some major bal..... uh.... bravery to get up there and just go at it on a stage by yourself like that.
    Your technique shows major promise although (as you already know) a few parts were a bit rough.

Get your band going ASAP. Solo wankery is fun for a while, but there is nothing like locking in with a drummer and building a concrete foundation for singers and guitar players. You can still get flashy (especially in death metal) and get away with it some as well.

Best of luck.
  15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I thought it could use some room for improvement:

-Buy a tuner, nobody wants to hear you tune, plus there will come a time when you cannot tune easily due to crowd noise. Be more prepared for song transitions, there was a lot of time between songs, if you are going to take a while learn how to talk and tune, entertain.

-Some of the parts could use more practice to be cleanly executed, there was some timing issues here and there

-Look up, there are people there who want to see you, less fret watching = more rocking.

-Did not like your OD tone, too trebly. Are you using a compressor for tapped parts?

You had the balls to get up there and do it, so keep doing it and always strive to do better than the previous show, you're on the right path.
  16. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    I dig it dude. ..takes balls to solo, especially on a bass which is usually more of a supportive instrument. Ur chops r pretty tight so here is some advice. If you can roll all that together in a composition then the length is ok but it has to flow like keepin the same time, have your melodys lead into the next one, and NEVER lose the groove!!! That means no pauses for tuning or anything...just make it flow from start to finish. Victor wooten*,billy sheenan, even cliffs solos all had a theme, made melodic sense, and NEVER loose the groove!! Pulling teeth(anesthesia) never lost the groove. So pull it all together and you will never loose your audience. ..otherwise it is just like a "hey look what I can do" bag of licks...which is fine too but in that case shorten it. Make it a composition you can repeat from gig to gig and give it a title and pretty soon your fans will be screaming for it once you get in a band situation. Your video and approach is refreshing dude so keep at it and rock on and keep representing!!!
  17. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Hey man, don't worry about it. To be honest, I wasn't expecting anybody to like my set, I was expected to get boo'd at and all that jazz, but it's his opinion and no offense was taken.

Thank you, though!
  18. TinyE

TinyE

If you want to play solo, I'd say grab a looper and a drum machine. It would keep a rhythm going for the crowd to relate to
  19. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

- Believe me, I practiced my butt (OK in all honestly, last minute practice before I went on...)
    - I'm not that good to memorize the fretboard or face on the audience lol. Although I did have a few laughs with them later in the set and made me feel more at ease.
    - I don't remember my amp settings but I remember turning my knobs all the way up so I could hear myself tap

And yayyy.
  20. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

It's funny you mention that, actually. I tried getting a looper for Christmas but no dice. And later I used a drum machine on the last song of my set (I played "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth"
  21. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I found the slouched head bobbing a little unnecessary in some parts, but if that's your thing, I understand. I enjoyed the music (especially the non-distorted parts), and give you props. Rock on brother.