Videogames anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ImJustDez, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

Hello,
    As the title shows, this is about videogames. I just wanted to know if anyone here is into videogames? I have a PS3, PS2, DS Lite, and a 3DS. I'm going to start PC once I'm able to buy the gaming laptop I want (no room fit a PC, sadly).
    Some of my favorite games are The Last of Us, Assassin's Creed Series (I have ALL the Games), Portal 2, Skate 3 (it's a great game to relax and not think to), etc. Currently I'm in the process of playing Bioshock, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas.
    So yea. Wanted to know the gamers of TalkBass, their systems (or PC) and what their favorite games are and why

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

N64, XBox, PS3, PS4 and PC, tho generally only the latter two that get used these days.

Recently been playing a bit of BF4 on the PS4.

3. Milk

Milk

there used to be a thread about it. Not sure where it went.

I'm a PC gamer.

What i've played in the last few months (enjoyed all of them a lot else i wouldnt bother, if a game is just alright, i don't play it more than a couple of hours)

Minecraft (Again. i played a lot about two years ago, since theres no great PC release for a while until summer i went back to it)

Hitman Absolution (finally gave this game a proper shot...might have been too harsh on it before i REALLY played it through. big fan of the series,not the best but not a series killer either...pretty good still despite the annoying changes to the series)

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (My favorite of the series so far, though really i played only first and II before...was too much of the same after that. The whole ship captaining thing rejuvenated the series. Though i wish theyd have taken that further, like more than one ship to get..also i wish naval fights would have been less frequent but harder)

Kingdoms of Amalur : Reckoning (This one is like 2 years old, i'd skipped it when it came out, great RPG, probably third favorite of all time behind Oblivion and Ultima VII, the only problem is the map....it's pretty claustrophobic in feel, but otherwise, great RPG, very long too especially with the two DLC....too bad the "franchise" is stillborn...dev folded after release, invested too much money in making this a huge hit...when it wasnt, they couldn't keep afloat, shame)

The Saboteur (another older game, like 3 or 4 years now..had skipped that one too...shouldn't have, great open world action in WWII paris. Its a mix of Assassins creed, hitman, GTA and Just cause 2 basically. Great fun. Probably third favorite open world action game of all time behind GTA series and Just Cause 2. And just like Amalur...dev folded after release. Though EA probably has the rights to it...wish they gave it a sequel)

4. Milk

Milk

Duh...i knew i was forgetting some. I also played

Arkham Origins and Arkham City

I didnt think Arkham Asylum was THAT great. Fun enough but soon forgotten. So i'd skipped Arkham city even if it souneed a lot better. Arkham Origins sounded even better so i knew i should try this one at least. I liked it a lot. Then i figured i'd find out what happened after Arkham Asylum so i played Arkham City right after. I can see why some critics gave Origins lower marks because it was too much the same as City, but having played that one first, i think i liked it a little better. I did every single riddler challenge too in both games so that kept me busy a while. I STILL hope to one day have a proper batman game in which i get to drive the Batmobile around a FULL arkham map and drive to the abtcave and such. Full open world action. That's what i really want. And until they give me that game, I'll find all Batman games still lacking.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

I enjoy gaming as well. Pretty much just PS3. But my favorites are/were The Last of Us, the Bioshock series, COD series, FEAR series, God of War series.

A lot if other various shooters and action games too.

7. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

I played Arkham City a bit when my friend let me borrow it. You're right though, Batman games would be a lot better if it were an open world game. So much cooler.
    Maybe something like GTA, you know what I mean?

8. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

Forgot to say. I also really love Skyrim. My history was deleted though and I have to start alll over again, sigh

9. Milk

Milk

And if were gonna do my gaming systems history.

Atari 2600
    Nintendo Entertainment system
    PC (starting in 1989 and that never stopped)
    Super NES
    N64
    Gamecube (see a trend? yeah but it stops then)
    Xbox (sold gamecube for it...felt like such a traitor..but had to admit microsoft had won that one)

Sold the Xbox in like 2003 and havent had a console since. Just PC.

10. Milk

Milk

Yeah thats exactly what i mean. They already have the perfect fighting system for Batman. just give us the complete experience.

11. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

I've never been interested in Xbox. My father bought me a ps2 when I about 1 and growing up he just always told me that PlayStation was better than Xbox. I would get an Xbox just to play Left4Dead, but then I could also play that on PC! So I'm really excited to get myself on PC gaming instead

12. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I have a N64, GBC, GBA-SP, DS(original silver), GC, PS1, Dreamcast, and original Xbox. I guess I have some catching up to do :p

My most recent endeavors included a Pokemon Pearl Nuzlocke (challenge with my buddies), a LoZ Majora's Mask run, and a LoZ Link's Awakening run. So yeah, I'm a little behind haha

13. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

Its still all fun!
    You have no idea how much I want to experience all the older games and systems. I'm just very young which is why I dont get to play them. I'm hoping to buy older systems and games as I save money though.

14. Milk

Milk

I realised i forgot ANOTHEr game i played inthe past few months.

State of Decay

Its an open world zombie survival game. Really good idea for a game but the execution is lacking. It's not bad, it just never gets great. I haven't been really interested in zombie games so far but this did interest me because of the survival aspect. I mean getting a house with a bunch of survivors who depend on you to survive, having to get out for food and ammo and looting empty buildings and all. Cars that break down and never respawn more. It's just that the game is better on paper then it actually is in reality. And its also way too short. It ends abruptly an you realise then that all you bothered doing, gathering stuff, helping other survivors, developing their skills and whatnot, making sure your cars didn't break down....was it turns out completely pointless cause the game is so short you don't need to do any of that at all... Its like i liked the game a lot.... until it ended, then i immediately didn't like it much at all cause i realised the pointlessness of most of the gameplay. A 8 out of 10 game became right there more like a 5. I just hope it starts a franchise that gets much better. It IS a very small dev. With a lot of cash they could do a lot...

15. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

Sounds like my kinda games too. For COD I only have 3 and Black ops. I was thinking of getting BO 2 and Ghost but my friends made it seem not as good. I'll most likely get it once I get some money but I'm also kind of iffy on them. I'm just started Bioshock, my friend is letting me borrow the first and Infinite and so far, I LOVE it. I did not expect the first one to be like that. I thought it was a fun shooter game and then BOOM in comes all this creepy stuff I did NOT expect (I didn't research so much before hand, I just said yes when he offered to let me borrow it). I played God of War on psp once a long time ago but I hear so many good things that I think I'm going to get it. As for FEAR, I haven't heard of it but I just looked it up and I'm super interested now. I love scary games so much. Ever played Cry of Fear? It's a PC game though

16. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

You've probably heard of The Last of Us, if you could get your hands on a Ps3 just for a bit to play this, that'd be awesome. I'm not a huge person on Zombie games either but this game was truly amazing. The story, how it's played, EVERYTHING was amazing. Only thing that bothered me was that when you went to switch guns it was a bit difficult and just a TID BIT time consuming (wasn't just a click of one button) but I would say it made it more realistic because he had to go into his backpack to get the new gun.

17. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Have you tried Day Z? I haven't tried the stand alone version yet, but the mod for Arma II was spectacular.

You wake up on a beach, no explanation, you are in this massive map, a couple cities and numerous smaller towns. Other players are running around trying to survive too. No teams, so you have to trust (or murder) your co-players and lots of zombies!

Excellent survival game, there is no story so-to-speak, you just want to try and survive as long as you can.

18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I was quite the gamer growing up and, between my brother and myself, had a lot of gaming systems. I have an Atari, a Nintendo Entertainment System, a Super Nintendo, a Gameboy, a Gameboy Color, a Nintendo 64, a Playstation 2, and an Xbox 360. I also do some computer gaming, as well.

My favorite systems have got to be my Super Nintendo and my Nintendo 64. I can still sit down on my couch and spend hours playing either system without getting bored. I can't do that with any other console.

My favorite games, in no order, are:

The Legend of Zelda: OoT (N64)
    Counter-Strike: 1.6, Source, Global Offensive (PC)
    Star Craft (PC)
    Star Craft: Brood War (PC)
    Final Fantasy 7 (granted, I still have yet to completely beat it!) (PC)
    Grand Theft Auto Vice City (PS2)
    Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360)
    Star Wars: Battlefront (PS2)
    Yoshi's Island (Super Nintendo)
    Donkey Kong Country (Super Nintendo)
    Mario Kart 64 (N64)
    F-Zero: X (N64)
    Grand Tourismo 3 (PS2)
    GoldenEye (N64)
    Ninja Gaiden (NES)
    Turtles in Time (Super Nintendo)

I think that about covers it :D I have easily spent 50+ hours on each of those games, and, yet, I could still go back and play any of them and not get bored. The only one out the lot that I play on any sort of regular basis is CS:GO, though. Add me on Steam if you want :p

19. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

Have you tried Rust? Its no longer a zombie survival game as they have removed the zombies, but it is a great survival game where your greatest enemies are other players. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't.

Recently I've been playing the crap out of Dark Souls and loving it. Its hard but not quite as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Granted I've been killed too many times too recall, but its rarely cheap. 95% of the time I can easily chalk my death up to my own negligence. Definitely recommended to fans of the genre with a healthy sense of patience.

20. DogBone

DogBone

Video games in our household are very much a part of life.

Yes, I'm a grown man sitting here as I type with my 2DS beside me knocking out some chores in my "Animal Crossing New Leaf" town.

Ha ha, anyway, it's stress relief, and sorta a family thing. We all have handhelds and our own towns and, if you know the game, you can see how it would be a quirky family collaboration AND competition.

Gaming consoles? In the living room with me right now are a Wii, a WiiU, and a XBox 360. My kids play them often but also do the PC thing now.

In the basement I still have every system we've owned, and they all still work, several Gamecubes, an original Playstation, an original NES, and two Atari 2600 consoles with a pile of games for all. Probably a few more that I forgotten about.

Also, you may be interested in this, I think it's cool, my oldest son who is a Computer Science graduate is a regular beta tester for Bethesda Studios (Skyrim, Elder Scrolls, etc) and has been for some time. He usually gets contacted by them every so often to run a pre release through its paces, usually the PC version of whatever the upcoming game is. Of course it's not paid, but he enjoys it and likes to see the upcoming games early.

Anyway, I think it's pretty cool, but I admit it's all way above my head.

Regardless, I'm old enough to remember when video games first came out and became popular in the mid 70s, I love how they have evolved over the years and believe me, as kids back then we imagined of course the graphics would get better, but we had no idea how interactive they would become with the online and multiplayer elements.

Incredibly cool stuff. :cool:

21. Milk

Milk

I meant to forever. I even dled it and all. then I never got around to it.

I have to say I don't like multiplayer games very much though... I've watched lengthy videos of it anyway.