1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vienna strings Hamburg HANDCRAFT info

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Brandon Tuomiko, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko

Im looking at buying, well I am buying... a Vienna strings Hamburg HANDCRAFT bass. I have searched this site and found nothing on it.

Here it is:
    http://www.viennastringsusa.com/products/bass/hamburghc.html

looks beautiful, and has a nice bow and case. But I know nothing of this, what are your feelings on this bass? Is it worth $2,300

Oh and people say they hate jim laabs service, but I think they are great! Super nice, Fast, and friendly people who love to have a conversation with you! Great store, but somehow gets a lot of BS from people.
  2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Wait-- you've made your decision, don't yet have the bass, and now want to know what folks think?

Just looked at the Jim Laabs site-- the Hamburg is listed at $1277 and said to be fully-carved. It also doesn't seem to match the pictures on the link you included. A priori, buying a very low-end "fully-carved" bass from an instrument superstore is risky business. It rarely yields the best value for your dollar. I sincerely hope your experience is otherwise.
  3. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko

No no no no. The basses on ebay are a lot different. And the HAMBURG is their cheap bass, this is the HAMBURG Hadncraft, and is their top bass, and is only $2300 fully carved. there is one on ebay, but its a low end version on the one on the website. Im getting the one from the link above.

And this is a known store, and my bass teacher says the instruments are quality for their price.
  4. drurb

ebay? I didn't look on ebay. I went to the Jim Laabs site but I now understand that you're not buying it from Jim Laabs at all. So, I'll go back to a version of my original question. You are buying the bass, you are happy with the dealer, and your teacher approves the choice. What can we offer? Some here may say it's a fine choice. Others (such as myself) would not make that choice at all. What matters is what makes you happy and it seems that's been determined. Go in peace and enjoy!

Edit-- Search within this forum for "Hamburg." There's a bunch of info on these basses.
  5. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko

Yes thats true on what you say, but just looking for an opinion

Oh and there really is no info on this bass here. Just info on the lower model Hamburg. Doesnt help much.
  6. drurb

With regard to the brand, I think the info available via the searches helps a great deal. What is actually the difference between the model you're discussing and the lower one beyond aesthetics? The "Handcrafted" has hand-applied spirit varnish, prettier wood, a nicer inlay, and violin corners. There's no evidence that, for example, more attention is paid to graduating the top and/or back. At the price-point you're considering, it's not clear that much of that would be done at all. The general information offered in previous threads would seem to apply.

By the way, have you played this bass?
  7. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko

The lower model is in fact not carved. the handcraft is. and yes it has more sightful accents.

And it comes with a $400 hard case and a nice bow. He said he will give me a stand too
  8. drurb

Curious-- the Vienna web site calls the lower model a "solid carved bass." It's important to recognize what "carved" means at this price-point.
  9. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

So, you're getting a stand, a $400 case and a bow with a fully carved bass for $2300.00. I'd be very skeptical about the quality of the bass at that price.
  10. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko

well i have no way of telling. Oh well... :(
  11. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Then don't do the deal! :rollno:
  12. mattfong

mattfong

It's a pretty simple concept. You don't spend that amount of money without knowing exactly what you're buying. It just doesn't make sense!
  13. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko

i sort of know what im doing. I do know some about the company, and that they do make a decent bass. And that this is their highest one, and what Ive heard about the basses is from the lower model, so it couldnt be any worse.
  14. drurb

Personally, I need a whole bunch more confidence before I drop thousands of $$$ on anything-- much less my closest musical companion-- but that's just me. I asked before if you have played the exact bass you will be buying or, at least, the same model.

It's difficult to know how to helpfully respond to posts that say, "This is what I'm buying, I've made up my mind. What do you think?" The best I can figure is that people who post such things are fishing for reinforcement. Well, I think it's fair to say that most of us who've been around the block a few times wouldn't advise that you do what you're planning to do. As I said before, in the end, what you think matters. If you're happy going that route and your teacher approves, then write the check and enjoy. Then again, if you're not at ease with the decision...
  15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Geez, man, just buy a bass already.
  16. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko

Drub sorry I sound confusing, I meant that this is the top bass in my priority, And in Omaha, there are $500 basses, then $15,000 basses and nothing in between so its hard to find something I want.

Thanks Marcus, just trying to find something good..
  17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

I know it's hard, dude. I live on an island in the middle of the Pacific, so it's a little similar to your situation. I had to take a leap of faith and buy an NS La Scala over the web. It worked out insanely well for me.... but it's not the ideal way to shop for a double bass.

I hope you can find a way to get to a place where there are lots of basses to try. Gas is cheaper now... maybe you should save some bucks and do a road trip.
  18. Peck_Time

Peck_Time

Advice*:If you can't play the bass before you buy, go with an established maker like Shen, Christopher or the New Standard basses. That way you have a better chance of getting something good, or fixing it if something isn't right.

*Note: I'm assuming you'll ignore this advice Brandon, but other new bass buyers might find it helpful.
  19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    How far is KC Strings?

By the way, I empathize with the fact that nobody is making your job any easier here.
  20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Based on what?