Villex -how big is the fundamental?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by billoetjen, Dec 21, 2009.

1. billoetjen

billoetjen

Just a quick word after a rehearsal on a 12" Peavey combo.
    I didn't have either of my Ampeg combos for rehearsal today so I used someone else's Peavey. I'd used this combo many times with a stock MIM Jazz and they talk very pleasantly to each other.
    Today my Villex-equipped PJ (flats) really challenged the Peavey. Even at quiet to moderate volumes the huge fundamental of the Villex pups caused the speaker to fart out. This never happens with my Ampegs or even my Carvin, but can happen with my PA system. It seems that the fundamental put out by the Villex pups is so dynamic that it overwhelms the driver.
    I like that, and have learned how to tame it in performance. But you need a cab that can take it.
    Very impressive.

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Yup, you can replicate hip hop/dance bass lines with the right technique.

3. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

The HUGE fundamental of Villex pickups allows for hip-hop/dance/reggae/dub tones without a sweat (and then some)

4. billoetjen

billoetjen

Yeah, the hip-hop thing was not exactly what I had in mind. BUT, it would soooo do the job for that.
    Actually, I was thinking more like old-school Country, to get that fat sound. The real beauty of having that much fundamental available is that it's there if I need it. Like having extra material on hand to sculpt with. And the Villex comes with the mid range controller so I can eq a more linear response - just dial up the mid and ease back the output.
    I just love having that much deep bottom ready in my tool bag. I can never have enough fundamental. The problem is that some cabinets just weren't designed with that in mind. Now that I think of it, I tried this same bass through an old, all-valve Fender Bassman, and it farted on the low notes, too. Pushes the Ampeg into a happy place, though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan

Low end is something you can always turn down if your cabinet can't take it. The beautiful thing about lots of fundamental is it gives you a full bodied tone on all the strings, especially important as you play higher strings. You can't EQ in anything like that! I don't use Villex, by the way, but have always admired the sounds the pickups can enable and the engineering behind them.

7. GYang

GYang

In my Warwick Stryker it has too much low end actually. Pure dance&techno kind of bass.