1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vintage Acoustic 134 Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jon Lucas, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Jon Lucas

Jon Lucas

Hey guys, I need some opinions. I found a vintage Acoustic 134 model amp on craigslist, says everything works well and I plan to go test it out this week. Have any of you had any experience with one of these? I've heard that the old ones like this are far better than their new lines of amps (which seems to be the case with most brands, hence the phrase, "they don't make 'em like they used to"). Anyway, just want some outside opinions on these things!
  2. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the 134 was a "guitar" amp with 4-10" guitar speakers. I'm not sure what that means in terms of using a bass through it, but I'd be careful. The Acoustic bass combo with a 15" speaker was the 126. It's a great amp if you play at reasonable volumes, but is only 125 watts so not up to modern rock standards. I do agree the older Acoustic Control stuff was great; I used one for over 20 years... but I'm not sure the 134 is what you need for bass.
  3. Bassmanmike1

Bassmanmike1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sittin' In Limbo
  4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

We're not even talking about the same company, just the names appear to be the same. ;)

Anyway, check this out! :bassist:

AcousticFest®!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLKb9Ms68ME
  5. Jon Lucas

Jon Lucas

That's the thing though, I googled "Vintage Acoustic 134" and I found the guitar amp you guys are both talking about. Thing is, this one is not it, it is a separate head and cabinet, it's 600 watts, and I think the cab is a 2x15 (not that I would use it, I have a 4x10 I would run it through, but that's irrelevant), but here are the pictures.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      952 bytes
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
  6. Jon Lucas

Jon Lucas

Here's the cab.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      18.4 KB
      Views:
  7. bottomend!

bottomend!

Great discovery. I have a whole big collection of these things so heres the deal>>>

The '150' series heads were labeled all sorts of different ways depending what sort of cabinet they were fitted (or not) into. I was just at a friends place the other day and even though he has 4 150's ..they all had different markings on them. The internals are all the same FWIW though so this bit of info should settle that question.

The pic you posted of the head is the older of the two varieties the company produced. You are considering buying the big knob version but there is also a small knob version. The small knob amps have a few more watts then the big knob amps. ( maybe 10 watts more).

The cabinet pic is a little hard to discern from the angle but it looks to me like it might be a 104 - which would mean it's loaded with 6-10" alnico speakers. They sound amazing but... you'll fry them with a bass. the cab you want to go with your head is called a 106. It came with 2-15's and sounds glorious.

You should buy the whole set up and just keep looking for a 2-15 cabinet to go with the head for bass. in the mean time you'll have one of the sweetest sounding guitar cabs ever produced...and heres the proof>>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXb8ZDuICCs
  8. Jon Lucas

Jon Lucas

@bottomend, thank you so much, that is incredibly helpful, I think I will buy it (only after testing it a little first, of course, just to make sure it is functional), the 2x15 cabs have the big blue stripe through the center if I am not mistaken? But thanks again for commenting!
  9. Jeff Scott

Those are the 361 and 371 cabinets.
  10. bottomend!

bottomend!

11. Jeff Scott

No 134 here, just some more Acoustic love. I saw the MO that same Summer! :bassist:

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD36-Zn2bA4