1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vintage Ampeg Bass Amp B-100

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sonofagun, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Sonofagun

Sonofagun

I found this add for a vintage bass amp for sale, would it be worth messing with? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Wondering if it would be to costly to fix up or parts too hard to find??
    Thanks

"Ampeg B-100 Combo Bass Amp. 100 Watts, 12" Speaker.
    High and low inputs, low and high EQ section, & volume control.

I am selling this for parts or repair only. Sold as-is with no returns.

It powers up and does make sound, but it's pretty crusty and sounds like something is wrong with the amp or the speaker. It cannot go very loud without it sounding even worse. Might be a neat project amp for someone who knows about amps. That's why I'm selling it so cheap. Probably a great amp when everything is fixed, I bought it like this and just never got around to fixing it or having it repaired.

Thanks! "
  2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Vintage B-100 or the modern B-100R? I doubt someone would mistake one of the newer amps for an "vintage" amp, but you never know.

If it's the vintage B-100, I'd say no, not worth it unless it's really cheap and you're going to repair it yourself or at very low cost. The B-100 is just a generic 70's solidstate head, and you could probably find something similar (or identical) for dirt cheap anyhow.

B-100R on the other hand, is a modern amp with vintage styling, and a pretty decent sounding one IMO, but again, not necessarily worth the cost of a fix up unless you have a way to do it on the cheap or a real desire for the amp.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, I agree with Corey.
  4. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

I personally would not mess with it. By the description it sounds like it's a B100R combo which is not a true vintage amp.

The B100R is actually a current amp, all SS and is covered in Ampeg's blue diamond tolex to give it a "vintage look" mojo. Look around and you should be able to find a used working one at a reasonable price.

If you're looking for something more vintage sounding with the same look, I suggest the B200R. Same look and mojo but it has a tube preamp, a 15 in. speaker and more power.

Good luck!
  5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Self correction here - missed that it says 12" speaker in the ad. That rules out the B100R, thus it's definitely not worth it IMO.
  6. Volume4

Volume4

I'm currently in the middle stages of restoring one myself. I don't have high expectations but suspect the amp running at %100, with a good speaker and some caninet acoustic tweaking, it might be a winner.

Strictly for home personal practice use... plenty loud for that, not much else.

Mine is a 10" speaker not a 12"

I'll have to get back to you on whether it was worth it. Mine had a really ratty non original speaker in it, I purchased an Eminence S-2010 for it.

From a tone standpoint? I can't say yet, with the speaker it came with, sounded very boxy but I'm pretty sure it's a generic guitar speaker that's also probably pretty beat up.

From a cost standpoint?
    I'm having it get a new power cord, new input jacks and new speaker wires + whatever else tests bad on the bench.

Whatever the above ends up costing + $40 for the amp + $75 (no tax or shipping paid on either) will be the cost from a tone standpoint.

I also cleaned up the amp, bought new corners, grill cloth, logo and some Polyfill stuff and a port tube for the already present vent. The last two items may or may not end up being used....I'll experiment with that.

All in all the entire cost of the project will come in under $300

When I'm done I'll compare it to my $200 Orange Crush 35 and see which one wins.

I'll tell you this much....you don't see caps like this in SS amps anymore. Bumblebees!! :cool:

[​IMG]
  7. Sonofagun

Sonofagun

Thanks guys I appreciate it, Ive been out of the scene for many years, burnt out from being a poor muscian and trying to make it in the biz. So now i'm slowly getting back into it with a little apprehention. I really want something I can jam out with at home and then take out to play, if and when i get that chance again, with as little out of pocket money {within reason}. any suggestions, my axe is preferrably Ibanez.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well the best SS amps are being made these days if you ask me, so if you're looking for a little used solid state combo, I think you're better off getting one more recent.
  9. Volume4

Volume4

Very True.

Like I said, the vintage B100 is really only loud enough for practicing alone...... that said...what I think is cool about it...as opposed to my Orange.....the Ampeg is very flat/clean...like it barely has any tone on the preamp.....

Which I'm hoping will make it match up well with my VT pedal and/or my BDI21. The Orange has a little too much of it's own voice (to it's credit) and is tricky to tune in with the VT pedal or get a flat clean sound. The Ampeg seems almost linear.

Ideally I am looking at amps with a post EQ effects loop to have the option of using the VT pedal alone as a preamp. Maybe even a standalone Slave Power Amp

But if you go used, lots of great SS deals out there, Peavey, Ampeg, Acoustic and Orange.

Previous owner of a B100R, fantastic amp, only does one thing...but does it wonderfully. I'd also consider (and I am stringly considering it myself) the Ampeg Micro SVT.
  10. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

i know this is old but is this a cabinet from a B100? I am getting ready to get rid of it.
  11. DJ Bebop

DJ Bebop

Yes! he says years later. I have one but with all the stuff still intact :)
    Do you still have it?