Vintage Ampeg Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gjbassist, Jan 27, 2013.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I have the opportunity to buy an Ampeg B-15T fliptop amp at a very good price. I have not seen it yet but am going to meet the seller in a couple hours. I found a bit of info on it but not much. It has the upgraded EV speaker in it too. The seller thinks it is from the mid to late 70's Anyone have any thoughts on or experience with this amp? The seller only wants $150 for it. Assuming it is in as good condition as it looked in the photos I think that is a steal.

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

They're not the most desired of ampegs, but as an early solid state amp they're supposed to be pretty good. Is it the one with the light up faceplate?

3. gjbassist

I don't know about the faceplate. Here is a photo:

Attached Files:

4. gjbassist

Well I'm leaving now to take a look at it. If I get it I will post pics.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spacebassed

spacebassed

That's the late 80's/early 90's version.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I was thinking of one of these models from the late 60s. Don't know much about the one you're looking at.

[​IMG]

8. gjbassist

Seller says based on the serial number he thinks is mid to late 70s. If its later will it be US made and worth more than $150?

9. gjbassist

Went ahead and got it. I can tell by the style of the head it's not as old as the seller said it was. He was basing it off his research because it is a four digit serial number. Anyway it's in great shape. Only a couple of small tears in the tolex. It still has the screw in bar clipped to the inside of the cabinet which is used to tilt the cab back. I figure with the EV speaker the cab alone is worth more than I paid for it. I'm gonna clean it up then post some pics.

10. BloozBass

BloozBass

I think you got a pretty sweet deal on it. I've had one for 7 or 8 years now, and I love the sound of it. Mine has the entry-level Ampeg (Eminence) speaker in it. They were made from 1988 - 1992. I don't much care for the sound with the settings flat, but judicious use of the pull-out knobs makes a world of difference. It's my go-to amp for my Stax/Volt project. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Blooz :bassist:

11. gjbassist

I was just playing with the pull out knobs and they do make a big difference, especially the low and low/mid knobs. Gives it that fatter vintage Ampeg tone. I do love the tone coming from the cabinet. Even if I use the cabinet with another head I still think it was a good deal. I did notice the Eminence speaker is 200 watts @ 8 ohms. I would have thought it would be a 4 ohm speaker to maximize the output of the amp since it's only 100 watts @ 4 ohms.

12. BloozBass

BloozBass

I've used that cab with my Micro SVT head, and it sounds awesome. I have to be careful, because the speaker in mine is rated 100 watts at 4 ohms. However, I don't drive it too hard, so it's not a problem.

13. stiles72

stiles72

Yep - thats a late 80's/early 90's unit. I have a couple of the SS BT-15's from the 60's like they one Corey posted and they sound good so I'm sure yours will rock. As long as your happy with it and feel like you good deal, that's all that matters. Now you can sign up for the Portaflex club ;)

14. gjbassist