Vintage/Cheap Short Scale Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by N I C lK, Dec 19, 2013.

1. N I C lK

N I C lK

Hey TalkBassers,

I'm looking to find a ****** or unique used or new short-scale bass. I've looked a little bit on eBay, and I know that the Squier Bronco is an option. If anyone has a specific bass for me to search for then please let me know. I would prefer it was no more than $150.

Also, any good lawsuit basses are an option as well.

Thank you :)

2. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

The problem with cheap vintage instruments(and I have been told most all vintage instruments), is that you really need to play the individual one you intend to buy to get a good feel for it. As far as old Japanese stuff, the Matsumoku factory turned out some good stuff.

As far as the oddball original designs that you will find cheap from the 70`s, they are even worse about buying blind. For me, some that look comfortable aren`t, and some that just look meh play great. So I think the best research you can do is with an amp and some timeĀ….

-Jake

3. N I C lK

N I C lK

Yeah, I agree with that. I bought a Peavey T-40 without ever playing one and it doesn't really have the tone I thought I would get out of it. I'll look into the companies you mentioned though

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Look for a Silvertone (DanElectro) Dolphin Nose bass from the early or mid '60s. Sometimes called a tuxedo bass. Under $750 in good condition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drul

drul

a used Gretsch Electromatic short scale should fall around that price range...maybe a few bucks more but worth it. I see them on craigslist and in stores used for 175-200 very often.

7. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member