1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vintage clone theory's on ebay?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by grygrx, Nov 9, 2006.

1. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

I've noticed a big spike in the availabilty of the vintage version of this pedal on ebay (for pretty low prices). Goes to show how a reissue can in some cases hurt the vintage market. Besides the vast difference and size and some of the modern inovations in the new one (regular power, true bypass) has anyone had the chance to A/B the two and see how they compare?
  2. Sean S

Sean S

Well, how about this; if you're in the vintage market, this certainly ain't hurtin!

:D

Sean
  3. playibanez

playibanez

nevermind i totally misread his post..
  4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate

I've thought about it, but the only ones I've ever seen are on eBay. and, since I'm perfectly satisfied with my new Clone Theory, I'd rather not buy one.

I'll wait until someone sells one to my local shop, and then I'll be all over the opportunity to demo it :D

EDIT: Found the link to the old site I found a few months back. It's just guitar demos of the old Clone Theory, and you really can't tell how it would sound on bass. Interesting, regardless!

http://www.modezero.com/clone-theory.htm
  5. tplyons

tplyons

Almost picked up an original a while back in NYC for $100 out the door. I just didn't want to carry it around all day and then to a Broadway show.
  6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate

And this is why you're not the King of Clones :p
  7. tplyons

tplyons

...yet...
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    He isn't, but those seven weird-looking kids he has in that protein solution in the bathtub in the basement will be, one day.
  9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate

Sounds like a bootleg brewery to me.

Honestly, it sounds like that'd would make a killer beer. :D
  10. grygrx

damn hijackers and your chit-chat!
  11. JanusZarate

JanusZarate

If it makes you feel any better, we're keeping your thread up at the top of the forum by posting nonsense :D

Any particular reason why you're interested in the vintage Clone Theory? The price isn't much different.
  12. Davrosnomates

Davrosnomates

If you wanna hear a vintage clone theory, listen to just about everything Joy Division/New Order have ever done. It pretty much is Hooky's sound.
  13. grygrx

Was curious about sonic differences, and seeing them in the same price range made me curious.
  14. sonicvi

sonicvi Supporting Member

The old ones are pretty noisy. I had one about 10 years ago.
  15. pharaohamps

pharaohamps Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Disaster Area Amps
    I've owned and repaired the old ones, and I'm an EH dealer can have sold new ones. All in all, the new ones a a bit quieter, and have the true-bypass switching which is nice. The new ones are also stereo, and the stereo setup is a bit different than the dry out / clone out on the old ones.

Personally, I'd much rather have a Stereo Polychorus. Oh, wait - I DO have a Stereo Polychorus! I win!

Matt Farrow
  16. zazz

zazz

ok....so apart from

a smaller footprint
    works off a 9v adapter or battery
    less noise
    true bypass
    cheaper with a gaurantee

what have the romans ever done for us!!