1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vintage clothes.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by carlos840, Nov 29, 2012.

1. carlos840

carlos840

Today i received a coat i bought on evilbay.

It is a vintage marine peacoat vietnam era, dated from 69.
    The stencil inside the coat tells me it used to belong to a Mr johnson, radarman in the navy. I don't know if it was because he was stationed in vietnam, or because he was a radarman, but the coat was literally unworn!
    No sign of wear on the lining, the shell, the inside of the pockets, it is pristine.

Now, i had never bought any second hand clothes before, never thought i would.
    The only reason i bought this one is because i was looking for a good quality, warm peacoat, at a decent price, that was designed for someone athletic. I am 6"2, 176lbs wide shoulders, skinny waist, and modern pea coats that fit my shoulders and chest (42") are always a baggy mess on my stomach (32")
    I thought that since sailors back then must have been between 18 and 25 and be pretty fit, i had a better chance of finding something that fit me this way.

When i received it i was shocked by the quality of this coat!
    Considering this was a war era coat, they were probably made cheap and fast.
    Still, the quality is incredible! The wool is so thick and warm, it's like wearing body armor, but soft and velvety. The construction is great, the fit is perfect for my body type.
    It just looks and feels so much better than anything you can find in a store nowadays, it puts another Gucci peacoat i own to shame, and this useless in cold weather designer crap cost 4 times more!

All that got me thinking about two things:

_Things are really not made like they used to! We really are given a choice between cheap crap and expensive a little less crap today!

_I kind of want to start looking for old coats more, maybe a 10 buttons WWII peacoat, a 50s trench coat, who knows.

Any body else into old stuff like that?

PS: i paid two hundred bucks for the coat, some would say it is a lot for a second hand coat, but it is in mint condition, which is getting pretty rare for those. I also had to factor in shipping to the UK, they are pretty rare here and usually go for a lot more than that.
    Considering you pay more than that for a modern schott peacoat that is of really inferior quality and cut like a sac of potatoes, i am happy to pay that price!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

That's a sweet coat. I'm currently making a coat last right now that really needs to be retired to the dumpster because it was implied that a pea coat was coming my way for Christmas.
  3. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Almost all my clothes and coats are from thrift stores. All old. All amazing quality.
  4. elgecko

elgecko

It's not vintage but I have a government issue pea coat that's superior to any of the civilian made coats that I looked at. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford a genuine B-3 jacket so I had to settle for a Wilson's Leather one. Even more unfortunate, I live in SoCal and *need* these coats maybe fifteen days a year. :atoz:
  5. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

i was just looking for a peacoat!! Ill probably go american apparell or h&m unless i can find something cheaper and vintage.

Great find with that jacket, looks great!
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

How do you know it's authentic?

-Mike
  7. rr5025

rr5025

It is.

$200 is very high for a Nam era peacoat. I was buying the 10 button WWII ones for $40 max (not to say there weren't higher priced ones out there).

Don't let war-time production fool you, many of my WWII coats are still in perfect shape and are well made. Hell I have a WWI custom made uniform that looks brand new even though its just shy of a century old.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Based on the pics you see and the fact that he paid $200, you think it's real? I don't know. I'll have to ask my buddy Mark from the Clark County Museum to come down and take a look for me. He's an expert on military history. :D

In my opinion, keep in mind I am not an authority on military collectibles, that stenciling looks about a week old. Maybe Relic will see this thread. He is into this stuff, so I would like to know what he thinks.

-Mike
  9. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69

Really not seeing this logic, bro you wanted an old coat so you got one. No need to make excuses
  10. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

Definitely the way to go for many things. Vintage cashmere is especially worlds beyond most today. Suits and such as well, as long as it is a classic timeless style it can fit in today. Shoes, except for the better brands around were definitely more well made in general and can be had for good prices.

Find a surplus store, some can be had for <$100, heck even google some. Much better wool and more durable. Sadly I didn't learn about this before I bought mine.
  11. carlos840

carlos840

Honestly i did not want an old coat!

I tried every modern peacoat i could find and it looked horrible on me...
    Tried 15 in bloomingdales when i was in NYC, everyone of them was to baggy on my waist, tried every one i could find here in the UK at H&M, topshop, you name it, and they are either cut in a way that does not fit me or poor quality...

This one is roomy in the shoulders and snug at the waist, just what i wanted!
  12. carlos840

carlos840

I would love to be able to find some for this kind of price but i wouldn't know where.

I don't know when you where buying them this cheap, but now 200$ (including shipping to the UK) was actually a very good deal when you look at the finished auctions prices on ebay! they are usually around the 250 mark, WWII ones often finish at more than 300 for a mint one!
    Even 80s ones are worth around 60 to 80$ now!

Vintage trends, which is one of the best places to find vintage pea coats sells those for around 225$

http://www.vintagetrends.com/search/thumbnails.asp?mode=all&MC=&CA=&SC=&ST=Navy Pea Coat&SS=pea coat

Here in the UK the rare places that have them are hipster vintage shops and they go for 300£.
  13. carlos840

carlos840

First, i don't really see the point in faking things like that, we are not talking about something that is rare or actually worth a lot of money!
    Sourcing the right fabric and going through the trouble of creating an accurate reproduction would probably cost more than an original...
    Have a look at the Buzz rickson peacoat, it not the right wool and already costs a fortune.

I did check things out with someone who knows his stuff beforehand and it checks out:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

It was just never worn!
  14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I was having a coversation with 2 people yesterday regarding the way things used to be made, and the way things are made now. Somewhere along the line in the past 40 years or so some greedy genius came up with the idea of building things so that they'd break, and you'd have to buy more. The public, or at least I, didn't really start catching onto this until everybody's iPod busted after 2 years of use. Guys I was talking to yesterday were complaining about the average life expectancy of a blender. If you bought one in the past 10 years, it's probably just a couple of years. Mine has lasted about 40 without a single problem. So has my stereo reciever, which is a Technics. Still works great, and is close to 40 years old. I could go on and on with this this stuff.

Sometheing else I really believe also, and experienced once more this week. In my experience, cough medicine and lip balm (and I'm sure tons of othe stuff) are made to worsen whatever condition you have. I had a crack on the side of my lip. I used lip balm for 1 day, next day I HAD to use. My lips got all dry and chapped. Stopped using it, and I'm fine again. I have a cough for a week. Took cough medicine for 2 days. It got worse. I stopped taking it, it immediately got better. If it was this one experience I'd say it's just coincidence, but my experience is if I take cough medicine my cough lasts for a month or longs. If I don't, it's gone in a week and a half.
  15. FreakyStyley69

FreakyStyley69

Now come on. I personally think that's backwards. We crave cheaper and cheaper things. Not to mention the ever increase of "must haves" these days means less money to go around meaning cheaper appliances or goods are made to fight for our dollar. You know there is still quality things out there. Usually at a higher price. And let's be honest most people would choose a generic product and save a few bucks at the moment while easily halfing the products lifetime. Goods are disposable these days and made that way for a reason. If newer and better things come out every 2 years why make it last 20? THERE IS going to be an increased cost and that will drive consumers not to choose your product.

People like new and improved (computers televisions clothing style furniture iPods phones) so would you rather pay 100$ for something that'll be obsolete in 1 year but have a 10 year life period or 50$ for something that'll be obsolete in 1 year, have a 7 year lifetime yet replaced at 5 years cause its old.

My parents have tvs sitting around they say there gonna take to go repaired..

Listen for the cost you would have to pay for 2 hours of labor you could have a bigger better newer thinner faster tv....

Do you get it?
  16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Those old pea coats are awesome. I have owned a few of them. Around here, they go for ~$50 or so. In Norfolk/Virginia Beach, where I grew up, you can find them in thrift stores for half that. My only problem is that they don't fit well for getting in and out of cars. The cut is perfect for slimmer dudes.

Pipe down.

I am opposed to the buying and selling of disposable garbage. I just bought a new TV for the first time in 15 years. I don't see why I should expect to have to replace it anytime soon. I buy things to last, because the cycle of selling cheap goods with planned obsolescence does nothing more than line the pockets of producers, deplete the planet of resources and create more garbage to pollute the earth.
  17. Simo98

Simo98

That's certainly true, but what you purchase is also considerably cheaper, so it's definitely a trade off. You don't have to scrimp and save all year to buy a TV or a lounge suite that you'll keep for years and probably aim to pass onto your kids, you pick one up on sale at 60% off for less than a weeks wages and throw it away later on down the track.

It's certainly a double edged sword, and a tricky situation at that. There is one major hangup for me, nothing is recycled and thus we waste an enormous amount of resources.

I just purchased a new laptop for $2400, the most expensive one in the store, top of the line, with a 3 year full replacement warranty. I've essentially paid $800 a year, or about 16 bucks a week, for guaranteed use of this laptop or a better one for the next 3 years, and I'm guaranteed a downtime of no more than 3 days, which, as the laptop is required to me to do my job, is fairly crucial (I also use it for recreation, infact I probably spend 50% of my waking hours behind this keyboard).

If it has a fault, I take it back to the store, they assess it, throw it out (or maybe refurbish it), and then give me a new one. People treat their phone, their ipod, their television and even to a degree their cars the same way, and while it might seem wasteful, fast moving technology almost necessitates upgrading regularly, and people like to have something new. You no longer purchase a product, you rent it for the period of how long the warranty lasts and then junk it after that.

I think that to some degree this is the optimal way to do it, rather than spending a lot of time and effort making products that last a long time only to be useless within 1/10th of their lifespan. I have a Toshiba laptop from 1999 that still functions perfectly, but it is beyond useless, building something to last like that is over-engineering and if anything, ironically wasteful.

The one hangup I have with this approach is that these devices and whatnot are simply throw away, contributing to the ever climbing piles of landfill we're all so good at generating. What I want to see is devices that are designed not only to be disposable, but to be recyclable with ease.

I think when you buy a smart-phone or whatever, you should pay for the device which is guaranteed for a certain amount of time, at which point you take the old model in and pay to upgrade to then new one, they take back the old one, and it's sent back to the manufacturer to be recycled and re-used in the production of the latest model devices. Easier said than done, but with our ever dwindling resources I think it will start to become more cost effective and outright necessary soon enough.

But I also would like to see more things built to last, especially things that are not computer based and don't get outdated. Unfortunately, people are simply not willing to pay for this sort of quality anymore, people care a whole lot about the now and not so much about the future anymore, and that attitude is encouraged a lot in many aspects of society I believe.
  18. carlos840

carlos840

On one hand i see what you mean, but then i don't think that is always true.
    Maybe it's a personal thing, but i shave with a 60s gillette, it is better built than any modern razor, i shoot a 66 leica M2, it is better built than any modern camera, i drive a 76 Corvette C3, same applies!

All these things were used for more than 30 years, and still they are going strong and will carry on doing so long after a modern mach 3, cannon 5D or modern C6 has hit the landfill.

I don't use these things because i am an old nostalgic, i am 28! I do so because i like knowing what i own will work for a long time.
    I would gladly pay more for something made well with good materials, and i can't believe i am the only one to think this way...
  19. Simo98

Simo98

It depends a lot on the product in my opinion. When it comes to clothing, furniture, guitars, I couldn't agree more. I want a jacket that will last a life time, or good dining table I can keep forever and pass onto my grandkids, and I want the stories they'll gather as they move through my lifetime and even further.

But even here there are people who junk their wardrobe every year to keep up with fashion trends, or to keep things fresh, people who re-decorate their entire house every few years.

A lot of people just don't see the value in quality anymore, most of my job is in sales, and trying to convince someone to pay the extra 30-50% and get an Australian made product that is going to outlive it's Chinese counterpart by 5, or 10 times its lifespan, is far more difficult than you'd think. People are only worried about the short term dollar, how can I save money TODAY, it's a little disheartening to be honest.

When it comes to technology, I believe we need to get some sort of system in place for quickly and efficiently upgrading and replacing hardware, or move to cloud based computing resources asap!
  20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I get it. Not too sure you do yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

Talk to anyone who bought a toaster oven in the 70s that is trying to buy one now. You can pay twice as much as you would have then (w inflation figured in) and still get nowhere near the quality.

As for wanting the newest, latest thing.... Trust me, if my $3000, 55" 3D TV would last me 25 years, I wouldn't replace it. But it won't. And that's pretty much guaranteed. And my 40 year old stereo still serves me fine as the center of my music system.