1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vintage CTS drivers in a newer Ampeg 410he cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gbazinet, Oct 30, 2013.

1. gbazinet

gbazinet Supporting Member

I recently bought an old Ampeg fridge that has decent drivers but the cabinet itself is toast. Lucky for me it has the sought after old CTS Alnico speakers. I realistically have no use for a huge cab so was thinking I’d sell the extra drivers and perhaps save four and find an old Ampeg 410he cabinet to drop them in. My question is will just four of these speakers handle my head? I use a Magnavox era V4B. I’m not sure what the speakers are rated for wattage wise but I do know that the four wired parallel should run at 8 ohms. Also, will these speakers make an Ampeg 410he sound like half of a vintage square back? Are the baffle designs the same?
  2. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

Very interested to see replies to your thread! Thanks for posting it.
  3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

The speakers are rated for about 30 watts each. They'll take more, but just keep an ear out. The 410HE is about as close to half an 8x10 as you get. I used to run my V4 with my flatback 8x10 (with the CTS drivers) and it was a great sounding pair. I have B810s in my flatback now because the CTS were getting farty with my SVT and I didn't want to blow them. I've been toying with the idea of picking up an empty 8x10, restoring my flatback to stock and dropping the B810s into a ratty cab for gigging, just haven't gotten around to it.
  4. gbazinet

30 x 4 = 120watts. That's pretty close to what the V4b puts out. Does this seem a little too close for comfort?
  5. gbazinet

Thanks Corey. I know you're in Boston, If you ever come up this way (Maine) and decide you want a project you can have the old cabinet! It could be fixed but I don't have the energy to do so. The bottom is rotted but sides and baffles look good. PM me for details if you want.
  6. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I run a VT-22 converted to head (V4) and run it into a Marshall 410 loaded with 3 '69 and one '74 CTS drivers from a fridge. It so happens that the Marshall has the same inner volume as two chambers of an 810. The only difference is that it's a single chamber.

The CTS will overdrive quite gracefully as the amp really gets nasty. I never get any hard farting (obvious overexcursion) from it despite clearly pushing their limits. They would be right at home with a 410E as long as you're aware of their limits. These home made half fridges are incredible for low wattage, medium volume applications. Four of them mated to a V4B is just about perfect!

As for having eight speakers-two 410HE's loaded with these speakers would be an incredible modular fridge to mate up to a V4B.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. gbazinet

cristw, Do you use pedals for overdrive or just crank the amp? That Marshall cab looks wicked.
  8. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I've been using a Phat Phuk B recently but previously only relied on my bass, my amp, and my cab. It's just perfect for the bands I'm in. I have previously dimed the amp with a Rickenbacker and gone to town on the cab without indecent.
  9. Mosfed

Damn dude - nice setup
  10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

These speakers do fairly well for what their ratings are. When I was using my old V4 with the flatback and original speakers, I was playing with a quieter drummer, and using a jazz bass, and using pedals for my overdrive so I never really had to push the speakers to their limits.

With my current band I switched to the SVT, started playing with a P bass and a Grabber (more bottom than the jazz), was using a lot of synth and fuzz effects on some songs, there are two guitars, and the drummer hits as hard as any I've ever played with. It's an all around louder group. At that point, 300 watts plus bottom emphasizing basses and pedals they were going a bit beyond their limits. Not bad sounding per se, but instead of tempting fate I opted for the higher power handling speakers and peace of mind.

I think a 4x10 with the CTS speakers would sound pretty good and likely handle the V4 with ease. But I'd certainly keep an ear on them as best as I could, especially if you're really driving the amp.
  11. Superstellar

Superstellar

V4 brother! Intrigued, interested in the other 4 flat back speakers....
  12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    They should work just fine. I don't think the box designs have changed much if at all over the years. Just be aware of the coils running hot when you're pushing it. If you like to run your V4 into some overdrive, it will be putting out a bit more than it's rated 100-120 watts.
  13. gbazinet

Superstellar, they're listed in the classifieds.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you're using clean sounds, it should be fine and will sound awesome. If you're cranking your V4, then I might consider a more modern replacement speaker. But the CTS's are definitely top of the line for tone IMHO, and they haven't been matched as far as I'm concerned until the Heritage 810e's Eminences.
  15. Mosfed

Dude - did they use the same Eminences in the Heritage SVT-410hlf? Or different ones. I am struggling to find the ideal single 4x10 to match my SVt-CL. The BSE HLF I have is ported and way boomy. I like the idea of the B series but they are all 8ohm cabs and these days bringing 2 4x10s around just isn't an option sometimes.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Different ones. The ones in the 410hlf's have a rounded back plate to allow for more voice coil movement.
  17. Mosfed

Arrrrrrgh!:crying:
  18. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    You guys....the 410's HE and HLF have pretty much nothing in common, other than they are four 10" speakers, mounted in a square, in a box....mmm'kay??

:)
  19. Mosfed

Yeah sorry - I didn't mean to hijack the thread for a second. Apologies
  20. gbazinet

It's all good. Red Sox just won the World Series!