1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Vintage Dimarzio orientation?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by clive shakedown, Jan 29, 2014.

1. clive shakedown

clive shakedown Supporting Member

Hi there.
    I am rebuilding a Westbury track 4 bass (MIJ) 1980.
    it has 2 Dimarzio humbuckers, as in picture, This is how they were when I removed them, my question is;

in the photo, the coils with the green and white wires are not in the same position (orientation?)

ie in the neck pick up the green/white combo is "under" the other one, where as in the bridge pick up the green/white coil is "above" the other one.

this is probably a really stupid question but, does it make a difference? and is this how I should put them back in after refinishing?
    Thanks for any help.
    [​IMG]

2. RobbieK

RobbieK

Nah it shouldn't make a difference in tone. The coils aren't really voiced differently. I have seen a few of these old 80's basses with some funny (custom) coil switching in them though, so the magnetic polarity may come into play...

It's not a bad idea to think about which pickup coils you are likely to be touching the tops of with your playing style. My thumb often touches the top of the EA coil on my P because I play with my fingers. Therefore I have the inner windings of that coil at earth so it doesn't hum when I brush the magnets with my thumb.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

+1, what that means is the coils with the green wires (which go to ground) should be the ones you touch when you're playing it.

4. clive shakedown

clive shakedown Supporting Member

Thanks to both of you for the info.

5. Register to disable this ad