Vintage Fender Jazz Real Deal or Not ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by travisme123, Jan 26, 2013.

1. travisme123

travisme123

I found this bass for sale but question if its all original. The seller says its from '75. They want $1200. It certainly looks vintage at first sight but something about the headstock decal looks off. Like its too close to the edge. What are your alls thoughts?

Thanks for any help!

[​IMG]
  2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Pic didn't show up on my screen.
  3. travisme123

travisme123

sorry.. should be there now.
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

They should be able to take the neck off and pop the hood to show some dates? If the person isn't willing to do that then I would pass.
  5. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Honestly! Real or not I would not spend $1200 for that unless it had some history with it.

For Sale 59 Cadillac only $35000.00
    [​IMG]

I get the whole vintage thing, but I would cause my own wear
  6. spellcaster

spellcaster

From the pic it looks right to me. $1,200 is obviously a pretty decent deal if it plays and sounds good. Guess you'll need to check the pickups and neck date to get the final verdict.
  7. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Looks like it was just unearthed after spending 37 years buried in mud.
  8. travisme123

travisme123

I can see how some might think this bass is ugly but I can't help it, I love it. Its been around and has the scars to prove it. Its got character.
  9. narud

narud Supporting Member

if youre in the market, this bass is a no brainer. if you cant figure out its a 75 by looking at it, buy it and look at in hand. guitar center will take anything back no questions asked.
  10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I do not like basses that look like they have been used to this degree or beat up. I saw the same ad and didn't even consider buying it. If you like it, go for it.
  11. narud

narud Supporting Member

the top coat on these ages and flakes off leaving the thick undercoat. looks fine to me
  12. narud

narud Supporting Member

looks like i responded to a post that got deleted
  13. travisme123

travisme123

You really think its a great deal narud? And aside from the appeal in the look of Vintage basses I also was think a well worn in jazz neck might feel awesome. I prefer slim necks. Even more so slim than your average jazz neck. How do jazz necks feel from that time also factoring in a lot of wear it might have.
  14. narud

narud Supporting Member

a 75 on ebay right now in clean condition will fetch around 2k. theres one that ended that looked like it was sanded to the clear coat and then a huge spot of buckle rash on the back where the under coat was worn to the wood. that went for 1500. with ebay, you deal with the possibility of issues and then having to deal with the seller and paypal etc. this one thats at guitar center makes it easy. dont like it? send it back.

the neck is not likely to feel worn like old nitro, but itll be nice. the poly on these mid 70's feels a little less plasticky then what it felt like in the late 70's early 80's. if youve played a mia 75 ri, the neck depth should feel similar. my 1980 jazz has a thicker profile than my 74 as well as thicker more slab like body contours.
  15. travisme123

travisme123

Can anyone speculate on what the neck feels like. Never played a jazz from around that time. And I'm guessing its well worn in.
  16. travisme123

travisme123

And by the way thanks a lot for everyone's help.
  17. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

A little more chunky than a modern American Standard Jazz, but a really nice feeling, fast neck.
  18. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

It's likely to be on the heavy side due to the use of Northern Ash on these natural finish js and ps from the 70s.
  19. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

It looks pretty legit, but it's just impossible to tell from that photo alone. If it's all original under the hood it's a good deal at $1200 if the neck is healthy and it plays well.

IMO, originality is more important than condition except when condition effects sound and/or playability.

[​IMG]
  20. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

+1 I'd just buy it if played well. Its just plain cool.