1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

Vintage G&L L2000 Series E

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Chef, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The elusive vintage G&L L2000 Series E!
    Super cool, hard to find early G&L L2000 Series E with "slot pole" pickups, beautifully book-matched poplar body, and ebony neck.
    "Slot pole" pickups mean they adjust with a straight blade screwdriver: look at the pole pieces! A side benefit to this is the slot actually effects the magentic field, and they sound brighter with the slots perpendicular to the strings (as opppsed to horizontal to them). Try it when you buy it! It's fun!
    The E-Series designation comes from back in the day when G&L (allegedly, never seen one) built these in a purely passive version as well, "E" standing for electronic preamp.

This bass really represents the last and best step of Leo Fender's awesome bass legacy.

Typical G&L control layout of pickup selector, coil tap , preamp select (passive, active, active with treble boost), and vol, treble cut and bass cut.
    The E-series have a very cool difference from current production L2000's in that the coil tap has, dual coil, and single coil with bass boost instead of dual coil series, and dual coil parallel. This lets you get much closer to "standard J and P" tones. You can dial this in (or out) further by adjusting either the pickup body, or pole pieces in the single coil side: sweet.
    Furthermore, you can adjust the single coil slot poles "brighter," and the dual coil slot poles "darker" for a wider variance of tones...cool.

If you've never played a G&L L2000 before, I recommend starting in passive mode only. There's tonnes of great tones in there; and the G&L L2000 is one of the only basses I ever really use treble or bass cut on. Once you've mastered all there is in passive mode in the several pickup and coil tap positions, then add the preamp for even more cool sonic goodness!

The maple neck is a gem, 1 3/4" nut width, but nice and shallow: my fave G&L neck of all time. She weighs 9.4 lbs on my semi-pseudo-accurate digital fish scale.

Note: this bass is a re-fin. It's been stripped and sprayed with something that's semi-soft and scratchable by belt buckles and keys.
    This did not bother me as I bought this one so my dead mint 1981 could stay at home or in the studio. No worries bumping this one around in clubland.
    I could strip it and refinish it "proper..." and spend $2-300 doing it...which would add $2-300 to the price...
    If it really bothers you, you can re-finish it the color of your choice when you get it. Pick your own color on a 27 year old vintage G&L: sweet!
    I personally think it's a great looking piece of wood, dig the mojo, and like not having to care if I bump it a bit...which isn't to say that I do, I just don't worry about it like I do with something else.

Comes in a decent Carvin gig bag.
    $599 + shipping!
    Payment by paypal e-check preffered.

pcs!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bigblondeafro87

bigblondeafro87

Are the electronics in good shape?

Great looking bass, it screams 'play me!!', and boy do I ever want to

3. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Yessir, she's fully functional, and a great player.
    We'll be leaving for work in a bit.
    If you're in Columbia, stop by Jake's tonight and give her a spin.

4. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Supporting Member

Jeez, Chef. This bass is giving me a woody!

Ain't nuttin' like an old G&L.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. reentune

reentune

Is this a twin to the other one or did you switch necks?
    Either way, I love 'em both!

7. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Man, you're killing me with this!! :p

This is about as vintage as G&L gets. Leo was right there on this one - what is everybody waiting for???

If my craft sale proceeds tomorrow exceed my oral surgery bill, hesitators will be sorry. :D

8. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    No, it's the same bass, with the proper neck this time.

As I stated up top; I love this neck. I've had many, many vintage G&L's-plenty of newer ones too;)

I have 3 L1000's, and I wanted this maple neck on one of those...but, it this bass wasn't selling with the L1000 neck on it, and the swap would have de-valued the L1000 were I ever to sell it.

So, both basses now wear the factory original necks, and whoever buys this one gets my bar-none-fave neck of all time.

9. The Diaper Geni

Personall, I dig the tone of the early G&L's with maple necks. The clarity of the maple combines well with the thickness of the early electronics.

I really, really wish I had a day job!!! :( I have a feeling that this could easily be my #1 go-to.

10. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Yessir, the maple e-series thing is really sweet.

You still got the coin from selling the Swinger somewhere dontcha???...;)

11. The Diaper Geni

You kidding me?? Man, money slips out of my PayPal account faster than a greased pig on Easter Sunday.

:confused: :eyebrow:

OK. I have no idea what that means, either. But you get the idea. Chef, that money is loooooong gone, baby.

12. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Meh; we'll just print more then;)

13. Lalo

Lalo

Okok so it has the real Neck now?

14. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    The other neck was real;)

It has the neck it left the factory with now!

15. rrybicki

rrybicki Supporting Member

Chef,

That's a nice description of the L2K thing in the first post.

If anyone is hesitating about this bass, don't - cause I will be all over this if it is here mid-week.

Russ

16. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Thanks!
    I've had my other 2kE since I bought it new in 1981; they're sweet, and it's a shame G&L dropped the single coil option.

17. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    on hold for rrybicki

thx!

18. Lalo

Lalo

Well Nice rrybicki beat me to it now at the end :-s dammm well if he backs away i want 2nd dips on that bass..

19. oli@bass

oli@bass Supporting Member

I'm astonished that this isn't already gone at that price?! Given it's an earyl one, aren't they worth much more? Am I overlooking something?

20. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    sold!

thx