1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Vintage Gibson SG Bass value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by garmenteros, Jan 3, 2012.

1. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

Calling all gibson experts:

I need the approximate value for a vintage gibson sg bass I currently am planning on buying. Its 30 scale, and appears all original minus a badly stripped black original finish. Gibson tuners, pickups and bridge with cursive gibson logo. Original gibson pots as well. Serial number is stamped on the wood on the back of the headstock and reads 951518. Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
  3. garmenteros

I assumed it was an SG because of the shape... but pickups weren't the average I've seen on SGs... anyone else with more knowledge be sure to chime in.
    Its an SG 300 due to the shortscale...

4. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

the bass really looks in rough shape, corrosion grime etc. Check the neck carefully, truss rod. I would guess about $400- $600 max if the neck & frets are decent.

These were Gibson's least expensive basses at the time. I believe they used melody maker pickups. Surprisingly people who have owned them really liked the tone, close to a Fenderish tone.

7. garmenteros

I don't need it but figured if it was a vintage SG it might be worth my while.... I already own lots of basses, don't own a short scale though... a hollowbody would be more to my liking.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Kinda cool & gritty lookin'.

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Pass on it, then. It's the least collectible vintage Gibson bass. For a reason. And this example looks like it's been used as a canoe paddle.

10. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

That is the short scale version, SB300 - the longer scale one had the bridge nearer the body end.

Original finish would have been a slightly darker walnut, not black - if there are traces of black, it would most likely be a refin that has been removed. I can't see from the pics.

These are nicely built basses, but with cheaper pickups. Probably alder body rather than mahogany/maple that Gibson prefered. I like them, they look good and perform ok. Some players (ie people that find EB0s and EB3s too bassy) might actually prefer them, but I wouldn't go that far!

I see yours has at least one saddle missing.

As for value, a really nice one could go for $750 or so (Ebay prices, not a store). A real beater probably $350. Although yours is worn, it looks more or less complete, so you are looking somewhere in the middle?

11. garmenteros

I told a friend about it, I think he might pick it up.

12. Kazi

Kazi

I have one. Had it for 30yrs. Probably the toughest bass I've ever had. Never had to have it set up and I've been giggng with it for like always and still do today as my main axe. I had to change the knob panel in the 80's (mouth waters looking at this one) and added an original Bad Ass in the 70's though. The SB or Solid Bass was a cheaper model, the Squires of Gibson so to speak, but very playable. Short scale. Nice tone, but def not Fender type in tone. I like it better than my Telecaster Bass for sound.....and weight. LOL.. It's my turn to bass for recording. Fast guitar-like action. Not heavy. Looks a lot like the earlier Melody Makers as I think somebody else mentioned. Nicer looking than the EB's IMHO. The one you're looking at is very original and has the probability of being a really nice guitar. Dark Walnut is the color. I don't see where you're saying it's black. The finish around the plate is original. It's low production numbers make it pretty rare. I've seen very nice ones go for over $1200. Not killer money, but decent, The low production # as opposed to a better model gave it it's price. I've seen Jack Bruce playing this bass in pictures. I'd buy it for $3-400 without a thought..If you're looking for a short scale bass that plays well and gets some looks, this is one.

13. Kazi

Kazi

[​IMG]
    Gibson SB300. 30yrs and still going strong

14. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

Played one at a shop today. With flats. Mighty great tone!

15. RubeJo59

RubeJo59

Also played one today and liked it a lot - 1973/4 SB300 - any advice on whether the £899 British pound asking price is realistic? Feels a little high?

I'd say it's in pretty good condition, frets good, neck straight - it's in a shop as opposed to a private sale so that might account for the price in terms of shop mark up??

16. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

That was my first bass! I always have to say that when anyone talks about these.

A guy I lent it to smashed it, and all I got back was the headstock. I was about 17, and hadn't learned how to handle those situations.

It's a good bass; nothing special. I really want one, though.

17. Rotwang

Rotwang

Huh?? With all respect due Kazi, wasn't Jack Bruce an EBO player? I've never seen any pictures of him playing an SB300 or SB400. Dig up some pictures somebody, I would love to see 'em.

18. Kazi

Kazi

Sure. $1200 for one? I've seen some crazy prices on other stuff, but for a VGC one to someone who wouldn't mind adding one to their collection, that's not that far out. I was offered $400 for mine and even I wouldn't pay that for it. I just sold my 72 Telecaster for $2200 and it was modded with a second p-up and tone controls. Not really done that well either. Wasn't a 2k bass to me, but he wanted it.
    Yep, Jack played mostly EBO's along with a ...truckload of other guitars including a 6 string Fender I think it was and a few Frankenstein ones But this was my first real bass and I scoped every bassplayer's bass back then and sho enuff, he had played one. Try and find a picture with him playing one well, that's probably like trying to pull a monkey out of my butt, so we'll just leave it at that LOL. But then again, that was the 70's and I might have been a little ....altered. :)