Vintage guitar or new Motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by capnjim, Apr 15, 2014.

1. capnjim

capnjim

I can't make up my mind, so naturally I though I would ask you good folks here on TB.

I have a 1977 Suzuki GS750. Its a nice bike, very clean, but finicky. I have never had it running really well.
    I drive only to work and around town. I am Gassing big time for a dual purpose lighter bike...enter the Suzuki DRZ400.
    I grew up with dirt bikes and I think I would be a lot more comfortable on a bike of this type. I don't like going on highways and stick to back road. I would love to do a bit of light offroading as well.
    I drive a '95 Camry, have never had anything remotely new.
    It would be nice to have something almost new and 100% reliable.
    The problem is, I can't afford the DRZ.
    I have a guy who will give my 2800$ for my all original 1964 Fender Jaguar.
    Its a really cool guitar, its my birth year and its Pre-CBS.
    100% original, never touched by a soldering iron.
    But, I don't find its a great player or sounds that great. I have 10 other guitars and rarely play the Jag. Its hanging on my wall and I think of it as a work of art.
    I am a bit of a collector.
    Its a tough one.....
    Bike, or Guitar???

2. 6stringvince

6stringvince Supporting Member

The guitar value will likely keep climbing, the motorcycle value will drop, but you can't ride the guitar. Only you can decide.

3. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

The bass is a collectors item and will only go up in value. You never play it so it is more like an ornament.
    The bike will go down in value and eventually be worth very little. (unless it becomes a collectable bike). You will be riding the bike every day and enjoying it.
    Do you need to hold on to the bass as an investment for later? If not buy the bike, who needs a valuable dust collector.

4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Let's see,
    A vintage Fender or a Suzuki?

In my book any Fender is better than a Suzuki

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

What if it was a Harley?

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have never had my spine broken in two places by a vintage guitar.

I cannot say the same for motorcycles.

8. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

May be...

Harley, Honda, Yamaha, BMW

But I would not sell a vintage instrument for a new motorcycle just on the economical standpoint.

9. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Keep the Jag.

10. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

You said it yourself "I am a bit of a collector". Seems like you'll hang onto the guitar. The Fender is more badass than the Suzuki and you'll be sinking some money into the bike but having fun! I guess it's a matter of having fun vs sitting pretty.

11. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Get the bike. You don't play the Jag, and Dual Purpose scoots are a blast. No, it isn't the economical choice, but were that the driving force, you wouldn't be asking advice. I say ride it to be sure it's for you, then do the dal if it is.

12. bassinplace

bassinplace

I'm sure the guitar is beautiful, but if you don't play it, it's useless, imo. Get a bike that you will ride and enjoy! :cool: oh, and for the record, I love my Suzuki! :p :cool:

13. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

This thread is making my brain hurt.

14. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Gotta live for today and enjoy what's in front of you. Life's too unpredictable so you have to take enjoyment where you can (my standard line before I take a trip or buy gear). Put the Suzuki in front of you.

15. capnjim

capnjim

Thanks guys..its a really tough one. I have changed my mind 5 times in the last hour!
    I like my GS750...but I've never ridden a street bike much and it just doesn't feel right.
    I had dirt bikes from age 14-25 and rode them everywhere, not just offroad.
    (I apologise if there are any QPP here who may have given me a chase or two)
    Not that there is any cop car that can catch a 250cc Moto-cross on the road!

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

+1

17. bassinplace

bassinplace

So much Suzuki hate. :scowl::scowl:

18. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Who cares what people who don't ride think. Go for the bike.

I'm not a bit of a collector, so take this for what it's worth. If you don't play the Jag, you don't think it sounds good, and it just hangs on the wall, what good is it? I would rather have a pre-unit Triumph than a pre-CBS Fender if I have to do a pre- something or another anyway. And a DRZ is a blast. It would be a no-brainer for me to sell the guitar and buy a bike. If you would ride the bike a lot and won't play the guitar, who cares what they are worth in the long run. In the long run, we are all dead. If my bike kills me, it's my fault. This would be an easy one for me.

19. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

I've known a couple of people that died on motorcycles, and none so far that died playing guitar.

You don't dig the Jaguar; I feel that; I don't like them either.

I would sell the Jag and get some other vintage guitar (or bass or something) that you do like.

20. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

70s bikes are very popular right now I think it would fetch a good amount.
    I love dual purpose bikes too. I say: sell the jag to some collector for possibly more, keep gs, buy enduro.

21. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Maybe I'm a square, but you can't ride a guitar, hit a bump, and smash your skull on the asphalt.