1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vintage Hagstroms

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plar, Aug 1, 2006.

1. plar

plar

How do vintage hagstroms sound and are they worth much?
  2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Those hagstrom swedes were some pretty sweet axes , they used to be on the affordable side of vintage but I think that could be changing.
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They have a very cool vibe, but not everyone likes the tone or the super-skinny necks. How much they're worth varies dramatically depending on the condition. A beat-up one missing some of the plastic/vinyl top parts isn't worth much at all, but a very clean one with all original parts intact can be worth maybe as much as $800 to a collector.
  4. aesir6

aesir6

I love my 68' Hagstrom. It sounds good, its super lightweight, only problem for me is that the fretboard is so tiny and one of the machine heads is broken so I dont have and E string for it. Go to my gear page in my signature. you can see it in the slideshow. :)
  5. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

i dig my '65.(on the left. the right is a 69 harmony tenor)
    awesome bass. had to take out the electronics because they were wasted, but i bought it for 230.00.
    this thing has tons of character.
    [​IMG]
  6. plar

plar

Any way to figure out the year by the serial number?
  7. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

My first bass was a Hagstrom. My Dad purchased it through a swap meet. It had a Les Paul shaped body, and it was pretty thumpy. I really didn't like the 30inch scale, but it was great using it as a beginner bass. I think I've seen some sold on Ebay for less than $400.00.
  8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Hagstom 8 strings in great shape have hit as high as $1100. Swedes can go anywhere from $600-800 in good shape, and Concords a little lower. Don't know too much about the rest of the solidbodies.
  9. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

In a nutshell no.

But I'll tell you how the Hagstrom serial numbering system works. The first 3 represent the production run number. the last 3-4 digits is the sequence in numerical order of where the instrument was made in the production run.

For example, 701464 = production run #701
    Instrument is the 464th one made in that run.

If you happen to have a copy of The Hagstrom Blue Book, then you can look up production run #701 and see that it was a run of Hagstrom II-B basses with a total of 998 being made in that particular run in 1967.

Yes, I happen to own a copy of this booklet. I've owned it for a number of years.

Got a Hag and want to know more about it? Post your serial number and i'll tell you when your Hag was made. BTW, In 1973 all Hagstrom instruments had the prefix number 53 added to the beginning of the serial number of the instrument.

TD

My Hagstrom bass collection,

[​IMG]
  10. Thornton Davis

D.A.R.K, FYI your stringing of your Hag II-B bass is incorrect. The strings are meant to wrap around the string post from the left. Yours are strung with them being on the right side of the string post.

Only the A and D strings should be strung through the centre portion of the hold down bar on the headstock. The E and G strings are meant to be strung to the outsides of the string hold down bar.

When properly strung, the strings will perfectly line up with the nut, pickup poles and the bridge/tailpiece.

Here's a photo so you can see what I mean.

[​IMG]

TD
  11. aesir6

aesir6

I think I love you!:ninja: Ive been wanting one of those Concordes pretty bad except the burst finish.
  12. plar

plar

609458 Can u look this up? Thanks.
  13. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

that makes a hell of alot more sense (with the hold down bar in it's given position) it's never given me any grief tuning-wise.....
    i've seen quite a few of these in local stores, but i've never seen one strung correctly. thanks for revealing the mystery behind the hold-bar.
    i'll give it a go if i ever change the strings again.:p

14. Dude

Dude

Disclosures:
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Wow Thornton!!!

:eek: :hyper: :eek:
  15. wujuu

wujuu

+1

wow thornton, impressive collection :bassist:
  16. Thornton Davis

plar, your bass was made in 1964. It was the 458th bass made in production run number 609 which produced a total of 500 basses.

Hope this helps.

TD
  17. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Thornton - Nice Array! Beauties....

The first bass I ever saw was a Haggy and I finally got one just like it a couple of months ago, followed closely by a Coronado that popped up. I love how they sound. The Coronado's Bi-Sonics are something else! Very easy to play too.
  18. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Excellent.
  19. plar

plar

Thanks for looking that up. The bass is not mine but one that I am looking at buying.
    It looks similar to yours , Thornton, all the way on the right. How do it sound?
  20. Dallyd31

Dallyd31

How are the Concords for feedback at stage volume. I have a line on a sweet red one.....it plays like a dream, but the guy doesn't have a bass amp, so I can't plug it in. I love it, but am afraid of feedback due to being a true hollowbody. By the way, how is the tone of these plugged in ???