Vintage Japan or SX?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heb9_28, Nov 26, 2012.

1. heb9_28

heb9_28

Ok, so I'm looking for a P bass on a budget. I want something with *THUMP* and I'm thinkin' P with flats (or possibly a semi-hollow w/ flats?). I own and have owned Sx basses and think they're great. However I'm intrigued by the vintage Japanese copies. Hondo, Aria, Westone, etc. I know with some diligence I could find a vintage P copy for reasonably close to an SX.

So, obviously some vintage Japan is better (and more expensive) than others. Is it worth trying to find a solid vintage Japanese bass or going with a SX which could save a little chedda, sill be good, but not be quite as cool?

2. Nomadskills

Nomadskills

To me it really depends on you, your finanical situation, and your goals. I've never played an SX (but know those that do love them) but some vintage basses have the ability to go up in value. It really depends on what "Japanese" basses you're looking at as some are much better then others... Long story short, I would get the best bass you can buy so you can concentrate on other things (gear, practice, ect...).

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Vintage Japan. I had an vintage Aria jazz copy that was as good in both sound and build as any Fender MIA. Paid $125.00 for it.

4. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

How about a vintage Japan Squier P-Bass or Bullet Bass. I have a '80's bullet with a '70's Fender pickup that has about much balls than any bass I've ever played.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dan B

Dan B

I would say go with vintage Japanese. In my opinion, I find them far more interesting than SX basses; don't get me wrong, SXes are quite good but there's something a bit special about vintage Matsumoku basses.

7. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    "Vintage" Japanese. Not even a close comparison. Japan from about '77 to '86 are better then US at that time.

8. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie Supporting Member

Vintage Japanese Basses by a long shot. Grab a Westone Thunder 1 on ebay for around 300. One of the best p-basses i have ever played. Still have her and a few others from Matsomuko.They are going no where.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

The vintage Japan instrument will be of higher quality, and probably play better, but the stock P pickup in an SX sounds pretty darn nice, and with the same set of strings you'd probably be hard pressed to tell the difference sonically.

10. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

The Ibanez "lawsuit" era instruments were outstanding. I've owned several of their Gibson clones (SG, Explorer, Flying v) made in the '74 - '78 period and they got damned close to those grail tones we were all after. I never owned any of their Fender-style stuff but have played enough to know they deliver as well.

If you can, go for the vintage MIJ over the SX. As most others have said, much better quality, rarer, and a lot of them are already gonna have some real mojo.

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Yep the MIJ Squier line proved that.

12. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

MIJ is great. Squier or Fender if possible. On your budget, try to buy a japanese squier. Might cost you 200-350.

13. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

MIJ over SX.
    I've been a really big fan of Greco and Aria. Even some Hondo/FAME series trump Fenders of the same time period.

14. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

You have to be very critical here. I've seen Hondos and Westones that were pure crap. Dont buy anything without being able to play it.

15. Marton

Marton

You can pick some old japanese Yamaha with a P pickup for around $250-300. I see a lot of them in the classifieds here.

16. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Regarding Aria, Is there any thing specific to look for besides MIJ. Best years, Features etc....

17. lsabina

lsabina Supporting Member

Vintage Japan. I have three Squier by Fender Bullet basses (SQ series) and they're great. Prices on them have really jumped over the last couple of years. If you can find one for around $300, grab it.

18. heb9_28

heb9_28

This.

There are a lot of Aria's out there. Some look great, others not so much. Any helpful info?