1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Vintage Jazz Radius Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hi everyone,

I know that in the 60s, the Jazz had a round radius and at some point in the 70s, they moved to a flatter radius. Does anybody know when that transition occurred?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    AFAIK the 70's instruments still had the 7.25" radius unless there's something I've never seen. they did start using larger fret wire in the mid-late 60's but that's the only changes that i'm aware of besides some changes in the rear of the neck profiles.

3. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

+1!

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

They were all 7.25" radius (as far as I know, ALL the instruments made in the US, 'though it's possible the short-lived Archtops like the LTD and perhaps the flat-top acoustics) until they introduced the Standard and Elites in '82.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I had one early 60s jazz and have had several 70s era. The 60s era jazz had a very different neck profile. The 60s had a very thick neck front to back and the back was very rounded (a deep C). My 70s era jazz basses had more of a shallow D profile. Thinner front to back.

Maybe because of the vastly different neck profiles, I thought the radiuses were different too.

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Radius is used to describe the curve on the fretboard itself which is 7.25" for all 60s and 70s Fenders, neck profile is a totally different thing and did vary...