1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vintage Jazz Radius Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hi everyone,

I know that in the 60s, the Jazz had a round radius and at some point in the 70s, they moved to a flatter radius. Does anybody know when that transition occurred?
  2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    AFAIK the 70's instruments still had the 7.25" radius unless there's something I've never seen. they did start using larger fret wire in the mid-late 60's but that's the only changes that i'm aware of besides some changes in the rear of the neck profiles.
  3. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

+1!
  4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

They were all 7.25" radius (as far as I know, ALL the instruments made in the US, 'though it's possible the short-lived Archtops like the LTD and perhaps the flat-top acoustics) until they introduced the Standard and Elites in '82.
  5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I had one early 60s jazz and have had several 70s era. The 60s era jazz had a very different neck profile. The 60s had a very thick neck front to back and the back was very rounded (a deep C). My 70s era jazz basses had more of a shallow D profile. Thinner front to back.

Maybe because of the vastly different neck profiles, I thought the radiuses were different too.
  6. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Radius is used to describe the curve on the fretboard itself which is 7.25" for all 60s and 70s Fenders, neck profile is a totally different thing and did vary...