vintage JB pickups low output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by damos, Dec 2, 2012.

1. damos

damos

Hello

i have a very low output with my pickups on my 67 Jazz bass.
    Is it normal or i must rewind the pickups ?
    I have a lot of low-mid compared to my 72 JB ?

Thanks

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It sounds like the coils have developed an internal short.

3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

I think David addressed your issue directly.

Having said that, my 66 Jazz has a dramatically lower output - I'd say it's only about 60%-70% of newer pickups. However, there is no affect to the frequency response - they are full range.

As to the reduced output on my bass: It may be due to the magnets getting old and having reduced strength - I'm not an expert. I can only say that I believe this drop in output is at least partially responsible for the amazing tone I get from this bass. I have 5 other Jazz basses (all sound excellent) but none sound like the little slice of heaven that comes out of this one. I've only ever got compliments on the tone.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Magnets shouldn't get weaker, but if they do, it's not hard to charge them back up again.

If the output is just lower, but it sounds fine, it might still be a break in the coil.

I just rewound a set from '76 that had that issue. The neck pickup sounded fine, but you could not get a reading on it on a meter. Sometimes they can sound very thin. It depends on where the break is in the coil.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

I acknowledge your expertise in these things, BUT - whatever it is I can honestly say that I wouldn't dream of touching it, ever. I just turn up the amp a little more for this one and that "vintage Fender magic" that people talk about comes out in spades, with very little EQ required. It had the crap played out of it, but it's all straight down to the last screw and plays like a dream. I feel very lucky to own it.

7. damos

damos

Hello
    Thanks
    How i can be sure if its an internal short ?
    Thanks for your answer

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

check the dc resistance. if youre not getting something in the 6 to 7k range than theres a short.

9. damos

damos

Hello
    I have 6,24 for the neck and 6,46 k for the bridge..
    Correct ?
    Thanks

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

theyre stock. dont have them rewound. pickup winding was kind of a crap shoot in that era. youll see anywhere from lowish 6k like your neck pickup to mid 7k. if you dont like them, throw them up on ebay and someone restoring a bass will buy them. you could also probably find some late 60's pickups on the bay that are a little hotter. hell even some 70's pickups. i put some 81 gray bottoms in my 74 because they were fuller sounding.

11. narud

narud Supporting Member

and if you havent already, replace the foam underneath the pickups so you can adjust them higher. a 66 i used to have and my current 62 needed the foam replaced as the original had deteriorated and the pickups were sitting way too low.