Vintage modified jaguar bass (squire)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassistcali, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

Hi, I'm new to this so I have a questions that been bothering me for years that I can't figure out. My first bass was a vintage modified jaguar bass (full-scale squire). The knobs don't make sense. The volume is in the middle and the other ones I can't figure out what they are. I looked everywhere and can't figure it out.

2. INTP

INTP

Mine has two "stacked" knobs. For each nob, the inner one is the volume, and the outer one is the tone. The knob closest to the bridge controls the bridge pickup, and the knob closest to the neck controls the neck pickup.

One confusing thing is that if both pickups are turned up, the cutting the tone on either of the pickups will cut the highs, affecting overall tone.

3. JSweetman

JSweetman

How many knobs (pots) do you have? The Jaguar VM Special has 4, one of which is smaller than the others. As the other reply says, there's another model with two stacked knobs.

On the Special with 4 knobs, the top two (closest to the neck) control the level/volume for the two pickups. The third adds extra bass, and the smaller knob adds some treble.

If you know what model you have, you can search the Squier site and the knob placement is included on the specs page.

4. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    :eyebrow: Was? :D

Yeah, the Squier site should have a manual. My recent VM Jag HB was V-B-M-T. So the tone control is 3 way on the single pickup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

Sorry guys im lost
    http://m.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Vi...ric-Bass-Guitar-Special-106505464-i1788090.gc this is what I have

7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

That's the Squier VM Jaguar Special. It's an active bass.
    knobs are, if you have it strapped on and looking down.
    Left knob -Volume 1. (Middle Pickup)
    2nd knob -Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup)
    3rd knob - Master Tone
    4th knob - bass boost control

8. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

Thanks dood idk why they make it like that

9. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Media:
    Disclosures:
    That's weird wiring. I can see them doing different things to use all 4 holes (only one part) but this is kinda crazy.

10. Maxdusty

When I first got the same bass, I couldn't get the right tone as I assumed the last two knobs were both tone knobs like some other basses I have.
    Finding out that there was only one tone knob (3rd knob) and the last knob being a bass boost made it easier to understand how to adjust the sound of the bass. To get a feel for it, dial down the bass boost first (the last knob), control only the 3rd knob (tone) to get the right sound. Then add the bass boost a little at a time to get a little bit more power to the sound.
    I usually don't like having the bass boost set more than 3/4 of the way turned on as it starts to be a little too much at that point.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  11. DeepBlueBass

DeepBlueBass

Thats weird...I just got a silver one...and it's V-T-M-B...

12. Apolicious

Apolicious

Close, but the third knob is the bass boost, and the 4th is the passive master tone.

Flad and LoveThatBass like this.
  13. Maxdusty

oops.. thanks for correcting that.

14. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Yes, it is. Mine was silver too. Looks like they wire them however. Mine was MII.

15. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

I have a 2012 model Jag Bass Special, and I can tell you conclusively that mine has Volume, Volume, Tone, Bass Boost.

The Fender website is inconclusive, as they list under "Control":
    Volume 1. (Middle Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone. THEN they list: "Special Electronics: Active Bass Boost Circuit", without designating a knob number.

Maybe the layout changed from one year or one batch to another. Who knows these days?

16. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

I have four knobs. 3 large and 1 small.

17. Apolicious

Apolicious

I received mine about a week ago, and the small knob is definitely the master tone, while the third knob is the bass boost.

Honestly, I've never seen a bass that's caused so much confusion. About half the retail websites I've seen say it has a two-band active EQ (treble/bass,) as well as a couple youtube demos from people who should really know better. And, of course, Fender doesn't even say there is a control knob for the boost...

18. Wallace320

Wallace320

It's that:
    Volume, Volume (like on a Jazz bass) phat boost, tone control.

MIC Modern Player could better mimic a Precision wise tone with front split pickup when "soloed" and its koto body (some like a rainy forest "tek" wood) resonated really fine

Vintage Modified special Jaguar is a basswood body loud and "in your face" instrument in some way, I just got rid of it for its weak neck, hard to set.

Still I can remember its controls vividly, again: Vol, Vol, Boo, T.

Cheers,
    Wallace

19. Apolicious

Apolicious

I have to agree about the weak neck. I've been adjusting mine about 1/8th a turn almost daily. But it's not really a fair assessment, because it got shipped into a pretty rough environment. It's one of the reasons I haven't started a NBD thread. (also I'm stuck in USPS HELL with getting some proper strings.) It's a shame, because it's a FANTASTIC feeling neck.