Vintage Modified Telecaster Bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToadWarrior, Feb 12, 2013.

1. ToadWarrior

ToadWarrior

Anyone have any experience with these guys? I've got about 350bucks from a recent gig burning a hole in my pocket, looking to pick up something cheapish, decentish, and a little out of the ordinary.

I'm trying to decide between the model with the one p-up in P-ish position, or the Mudbucker/J combo. I'm leaning toward the Humbucker/Single Coil version just cause it seems a little more unique and I prefer the look, but the 3 way selector switch on the single p-up version sounds very cool and appealing and I'd imagine it would sit in the mix very well.

I play mostly country, blues, old time, and some very soft rock with my band, but I'd probably be buying this just for fun home use and alone I dabble in prog, funk, RnB, pop, pretty much anything.

Anyone have any opinions/experience with these models?
  2. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

I was about to get 2 PUPs. Than I decided to get me P VM Amber. I am really interested what other people say about that Telecaster.
  3. JACink

JACink

I am also interested in this bass. I asked the same question in another thread the other day, and I was told it sounded too muddy, but I would love to hear more opinions.
  4. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

I ran into a guy who owned one not long ago at a music shop.He used his for blues and country,and said it was wonderful for use in those styles. He did say it could be overly muddy but used stainless strings to clear that up with some creative EQing.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I owned the original version, the VM Precision TB with the humbucker in the neck position. Like all of the Squier basses in the VM and CV series it was a very good bass for the money and it definitely had that old TB sound that fits nicely in country.

I also owned the original VM Precision and preferred it because it was lighter, more versatile, and had a really nice tone, whereas the TB was more of a one-trick-pony, IMO.
  7. dash1951

dash1951

I've also been looking to hear and try one of these, but haven't found one yet. The music store reviews seem good, but would like to hear from real players.
  8. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

I have the Fender Modern Player bass - the one with two mudbucker looking pickups. In full neck position I suspect it sounds like the VM bass in full neck setting. Which is to say, very muddy tons of bottom end and not a lot of definition with nickel strings. However when you dial in the bridge pickup along with the neck pickup the notes become much clearer. It's really a grunting hog of a dub machine. I use mine mostly for club type dance music when I want a lot is bass in the mix.
    The VM 2 pickup bass IIRC has a jazz pu in the bridge position so it will have more bark than the MP. If I were looking for a two pu tele I'd get the MP because its a clear departure from anything else I have and can fill a niche very well. That being said, it will never be my main player.
  9. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the flying monkeys show up Supporting Member

Media:
    [​IMG]

'Changed out the bridge pup to a Delano HB.
    'Changed out the electronics to stacked knob V/T V/T.

I think the bass plays great!
    You can dial in many different tones.
    I don't think the neck pup is all that muddy. It DOES have balls!
    You can mix in J pup for more definition, if you need to.
    The 32" neck plays great!
    It is a tad heavy, but I like mass.
    Easily worth the low price.
    I dig it.
  10. ToadWarrior

ToadWarrior

Wow that's snazzy looking!

I think I'm gonna spring for it, I think I'm gonna have to put that thumbrest on just like you did too. I'm not worried to much about muddiness, I don't believe thats something I can't EQ out.

Thanks guys!
  11. 1bassleft

1bassleft

I have the VM P tb with the neckbucker - a great sound but the "one trick pony"/mud only issue is easily addressed. Search here for Darkstrike's thread "Taming the Beast". I've done the mod, and it works a treat. Switching the pup from its standard series to parallel (or single) makes it much more normal and gives you something to blend with the J (also takes a bit of heat out of the output). For the Telebass, another switch would be a bit of a faff to fit in; get a pull-knob coil tap instead.

Having said all that, have you seen Fender's Yootoob demo of the two basses? I just love what that 3-way switch does to the '51 SC pup. I wish I knew what the electrics are, so that I could do the same to a '51 build I'm considering. Or, does anyone know if there's a Fender p/n for the switch that can be ordered?

12. ToadWarrior

ToadWarrior

Yeah, that three way switch is awesome on the single p-up version! I think I'm still gonna go with the mudbucker/j version simply because I really prefer the look.
  13. 1bassleft

1bassleft

Yes, good as that SC sounds, I'm aiming to build an SC with the 'bucker (I'm a lefty so the curse/adv is that it's all DIY for the interesting stuff). Keep the series/para mod very much in your memory, Toad, in case the 'bucker makes you wish for some versatility. It's small $ and a spare hour with the soldering iron.