Vintage p bass pickup question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geddy402, Feb 21, 2014.

1. geddy402

geddy402

I out this in the pickup section but figured I'd put it here too...

So I was looking at a vintage p bass and the seller said the d string is a little weak. Guess he took it to a pickup guy and said the polarization was reversed or something on that part of the pick up. Does this process change anything to how the bass sounds or change anything else to the tone of the bass? I'm not to familiar with this process or how a pickup can become reverse polarized. Is this a signal for more problems down the road? Thanks for the help!

2. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Weak how? Some Fenders (and other makers) have dead spots, with Fender having a "knack" for one on the 6th fret, but I've always noticed it on the g string.

I'm not sure how a Precision pickup could have a weak area, especially on one string (I think the G string would be affected as well, but I'm no expert). Either the pole pieces aren't aligned with the strings or it's not setup properly or the pickup need to be raised to compensate for the neck radius.

Just my $0.02

3. geddy402

geddy402

I'm assuming weak means lower in volume than the rest of the strings. Here's what I know...

It was a polepiece magnet that has reversed polarity...3 have north/ south polarity and 1 has south / north polarity...the entire pickup will be recharged for correct polarity