Vintage pbass isn't necessarily what I thought it was.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arnie, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Arnie

Arnie

[​IMG]Ok so I took my 76 pbass into a local luthier for a neck issue. He did a nice job but informed me that my body was a '72 and the neck is a '76. I always thought it was an original '76.

Now I know Fender kept some stock and matched pieces when needed of different years.

BUT, do I have an original '76 or do I have a bass replaced with different components over time? Does the age difference sound possible that it is still original??

Im a little bummed right now..
  2. 2meterbassman

2meterbassman

If the bass sounds and plays good, everything is fine.
    As the Fender basses of that time are the worst they ever built, they are overpriced.
    So don't think about what it's worth.
  3. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I've heard of Fender using left overs year-to-year, but if you are able to date any other parts of the bass, you'd have a closer idea. There are plenty of a Fender gurus on TB that could help you out if you have the right photos.
  4. bassie12

bassie12

Media:
    Don't be too bummed. Over the years, players have swapped out necks & bodies to make an optimum player. A given neck may have a dead spot on one body, but not on another. I've been swapping necks out since the 70s. Usually, I put the original bass together to sell, or disclose the changes. Only collectors get bent about this stuff. Players buy instruments to play. If what you want is a great player, you're done. If you want an investment that has a high return, 70 Fenders isn't it anyway.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Looks like a plus to me-'72 bodies are generally lighter than the late '70s Northern Ash boat anchors.
  7. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

The ability to swap necks easily was what Leo had intended in the first place.
    Play and enjoy.
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

My '63 P has about a 1972 neck on it. Truss rods break, and on a 3-4 year old bass, you just chuck the old neck and put on a new one.

That's what I did in 1972 when the truss rod broke in the '63 neck and I had a gig to play in 48 hours.

Just enjoy it.
  9. pfox14

pfox14

How did determine that the body was a '76?
  10. kcole4001

kcole4001

Yep, I played a really nice playing and sounding '78 that weighed at least 14 lbs.
    I was actually going to buy it for a backup, but it was gone by the time I got the money together ($500).
    I ended up with a '71 Tele that weighed about 9 lbs. for $550.
  11. Arnie

Arnie

Umm, I can't tell you... Was it stamped in some fashion as a rule?
  12. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

It's garbage. I'll give you $350 for it. I'll be doing you a favor.
  13. Arnie

Arnie

Lol, you are only down the street from me... or down the thruway..
  14. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I have too. As long as it plays well and you like it I wouldn't think twice about the mismatch in dates. It could be original, it could be parts from 2 different basses, who cares? As to them being overpriced, it was a bad time for Fender with heavy and sloppy work being done, but a lot of sweet basses were made as well. Take them on one at a time on their merits just like any other brand/year and you'll be fine.

Also +1 on the pics. Show us the goods!
  15. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

I'll give $350.01 and send a box for you to use to ship it to me! :D
  16. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

What a great looking bass! If it sounds/plays as good as it looks be fruitful and multiply.
  17. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I'll drive up there on Saturday. I win.
  18. chucko58

chucko58

Disclosures:
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    My guess is, it was originally a '72. The original neck failed in some way (warped, truss rod broke, whatever), and was replaced with a then-current part under warranty.

In the early '80s I had a '70s Fender Jazz with a twisted neck. They do happen.

If it's a good player, just keep playing it. Don't sweat the origin story.
  19. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Low end Lover since '78 Supporting Member

Yeah but.....
    If I bought a "vintage" Fender and was told it was totally original I would still be bummed by that news.

That bass was most likely a '72 and had a neck replacement. The thing is we will never know, will we.
  20. KablesP

KablesP

Does knowing this make you like the bass less? Or make it play worse? Probably not, and I can see where you are coming from. Maybe the guy you bought it from really thought it was all original. Perhaps this neck plays much better than the original for some reason. We will never know.

Beautiful bass though, I love the natural/black pickguard look. Classy.
  21. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

If the body is a 72 then the pickguard was replaced and the thumbrest was relocated.

Not saying your luthier is wrong, but any chance you can get us a shot of the body without the pickguard?

Also a pic of the back of the bass could be helpful to date it to see if the dowel marks are there.