1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vintage pedal question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wraub, Feb 15, 2014.

1. wraub

wraub

I have a Seamoon Funk Machine envelope filter that is pretty old, and was, at some point, apparently somewhat valuable.

I am considering using a 9v clip adapter from my Boss power supply to power it, but would likely have to file or cut a small notch for the cable so it all closes up correctly. Currently using a battery, but would like the presumed benefits of AC power.

How much, if any, is this likely to devalue it? Even worth worrying about at all, or should I just do it already?

Thanks.
  2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about it the value will stay there and the potential new owner will appreciate the mod.
  3. wraub

wraub

Cool, thanks for the response.

Kinda figured as much, just wanted to be sure I wasn't desecrating a classic or something.
  4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, original funk machines are a rare beast these days so I wouldn't recommend doing anything that wouldn't be 100% reversible, and cutting a small slot in the enclosure is definitely NOT reversible.
  5. wraub

wraub

See, this was my thinking originally. I know it's supposed to be pretty rare, and allegedly somewhat valuable. Anytime I hear that I re-consider any mods, regardless of the gear in question. Thanks Mr. k_10, your opinion means much to me when it comes to vintage gear.

So, one vote for and one against.

Maybe I should start a poll... Anyone else?
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I vote no. Filing the housing will affect the value to a collector.
  7. wraub

wraub

A quick ebay search shows some different versions in completed auctions going as high as $320, and one just like mine newly listed with a BIN of $500.

I might just hold off on the whole filing thing after all...
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A couple of years ago I sold an original mid-60's Univox SuperFuzz for more than $400. The tiny slot filed at the edge of the panel on the back to connect a 9V adapter was not an issue. Heck, I not only filed the slot, I put a rubber grommet around it to prevent the edge of the metal chafing the wire.
  9. Happynoj

Happynoj

If it has a battery door could you just leave it off?

Or if it is a hammond style enclosure where the whole back comes off could you fashion a new back with a hole in it to use temporarily until you want to sell it?
  10. wraub

wraub

No battery door. Removable part is the "lid", the top of the enclosure with the footswitch involved. Making a new lid is not out of the question, but had not thought of it. Might do that if value is a consideration.

Actually was thinking of maybe selling it, but wanted to give it another try without battery fluctuations so I can decide.
  11. Happynoj

Happynoj

The other thing to think about is - how much do you like this pedal? If you absolutely love it and can't see yourself parting with it but are worrying about this on the offchance, I say just cut the hole and be done with it. If you aren't sure whether it's a keeper then leave it pristine.