Vintage pedal question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wraub, Feb 15, 2014.

1. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    I have a Seamoon Funk Machine envelope filter that is pretty old, and was, at some point, apparently somewhat valuable.

I am considering using a 9v clip adapter from my Boss power supply to power it, but would likely have to file or cut a small notch for the cable so it all closes up correctly. Currently using a battery, but would like the presumed benefits of AC power.

How much, if any, is this likely to devalue it? Even worth worrying about at all, or should I just do it already?

Thanks.

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about it the value will stay there and the potential new owner will appreciate the mod.

3. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    Cool, thanks for the response.

Kinda figured as much, just wanted to be sure I wasn't desecrating a classic or something.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, original funk machines are a rare beast these days so I wouldn't recommend doing anything that wouldn't be 100% reversible, and cutting a small slot in the enclosure is definitely NOT reversible.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    See, this was my thinking originally. I know it's supposed to be pretty rare, and allegedly somewhat valuable. Anytime I hear that I re-consider any mods, regardless of the gear in question. Thanks Mr. k_10, your opinion means much to me when it comes to vintage gear.

So, one vote for and one against.

Maybe I should start a poll... Anyone else?

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I vote no. Filing the housing will affect the value to a collector.

8. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    A quick ebay search shows some different versions in completed auctions going as high as $320, and one just like mine newly listed with a BIN of $500.

I might just hold off on the whole filing thing after all...

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A couple of years ago I sold an original mid-60's Univox SuperFuzz for more than $400. The tiny slot filed at the edge of the panel on the back to connect a 9V adapter was not an issue. Heck, I not only filed the slot, I put a rubber grommet around it to prevent the edge of the metal chafing the wire.

10. Happynoj

Happynoj

If it has a battery door could you just leave it off?

Or if it is a hammond style enclosure where the whole back comes off could you fashion a new back with a hole in it to use temporarily until you want to sell it?

11. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    No battery door. Removable part is the "lid", the top of the enclosure with the footswitch involved. Making a new lid is not out of the question, but had not thought of it. Might do that if value is a consideration.

Actually was thinking of maybe selling it, but wanted to give it another try without battery fluctuations so I can decide.

12. Happynoj

Happynoj

The other thing to think about is - how much do you like this pedal? If you absolutely love it and can't see yourself parting with it but are worrying about this on the offchance, I say just cut the hole and be done with it. If you aren't sure whether it's a keeper then leave it pristine.