1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Vintage pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassbully, Nov 5, 2012.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

So I'm new to pedals and I read where some guy bought a first edition pedal at a yard sale and sold it for twice he paid?

I know vintage guitars pretty good even most amps but pedals? Since I'm new to them educate me on what is rare or what to look for and is there website ..info on this?Thanks.

2. topo morto

topo morto

If we say 'vintage' is 80's and earlier, there aren't a lot of vintage bass pedals... bass fx weren't a thing back then.

A couple of newer ones I can think of, that command high used prices as they are discontinued : Akai deep impact; digitech bass whammy.

When it comes to guitar pedals, there are loads - from old fuzz faces (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzz_Face) and early big muffs (http://www.pisotones.com/BigMuffPi/psst/BMP_versions.htm) , the old shin-ei superfuzz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univox_Super-Fuzz), a whole bunch, and that's just distortions. . Even slightly newer ones like original tubescreamers, made in japan Boss DS1's... People's nostaligia for even cheap old stuff like DOD can drive prices up (look up the gonkulator, and meat box!)

Also discontinued stuff like the Klon... they're worth at least $20, so if you see one in a yard sale for $10 I'll happily pay you double :)

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

anything that says Frantone on it grab it

4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

I wouldn't bother hunting for vintage bass pedals as a money making venture. Of the four pedals I've kept from the early to mid 80s, none of them is worth any significant loot.

I've bought and sold a couple of Deep Impacts as those were riding a crazy wave of appreciation, but in general once you subtract the shipping costs and the time you'd put into the hunt, flipping pedals isn't very lucrative.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

The reason why they are so expensive is the fact some of the cheap that made them is no longer available.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Sometimes the various components are no longer available and they simply can't be reproduced.

8. insomniac2295

insomniac2295

This is the case for the Meatbox.
    As for others, like an original white face RAT, some people insist that the tone of a vintage one isn't comparable to the tone of one in production now (for various reasons- could be different parts, more efficient parts, or other things related to that matter). I'm sure Ronnow will vouch for this!

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Thanks for the info. I'm not looking to find pedals for money but I do come across them and would like to at least know if they are worth looking at.

10. tomsgandl

tomsgandl

I am the original owner of a Digitech Bass Whammy that is in great shape. I am selling it for $800. PM me if interested. Thanks.