Vintage pickups and pick noise

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Alexdeth89, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

I like to hear pick noise when Im playing, maybe some people will think this is weird but I feel that the pickups are more responsive because there is a lot of pick noise when I play unplugged.

David Ellefson from Megadeth is the best example of what I'm talking about, note the intro of the song "go to hell"

I looked all over the internet to find out the specs of those pickups and got luck

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vintage-Jackson-Charvel-Bass-Pickup-Split-Coil-J-20-J-20-/00/s/MzQ2WDY2MA==/$T2eC16ZHJFoE9nh6pMqPBP4mqFN46w~~60_3.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vintage-Jackson-J-150-Bass-Pickup-/00/s/NDEwWDQxMA==/$T2eC16RHJGIE9nnWq)6sBQFL8OUipQ~~60_1.JPG

It is a PJ configuration, my two basses have this config but don't sound like the ones in the videos.

I want to find a model of pickups that sound the same as the ones in the videos and I thought about getting the seymour duncan's spb 1 and sjb 1, they have similar specs as the dc resistance is almos the same, they are made with alnico v magnets as well, and are catalogued as "vintage" just like the old jackson pickups

what do you guys think?

2. maturanesa

maturanesa

i would search for pups with lot of high end, maybe actives, and a set of strings that give that clanky sound... He is using palm muting too...

3. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

those pickups are passive but the bass has an active preamp (2 band eq)

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

You can get that tone with pretty much any bass... and a lot of different pickups.

1 - use roundwound strings.
    2 - detune or use lighter gauge strings
    3 - turn up the treble and mids on your amp
    4 - play with a heavy pick and use hard strokes
    5 - try some effects to get a "dirty" tone

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gunlak

gunlak

set your action low with some fret buzz.. not too low that causes the note to choke.

7. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

8. Teacher

Teacher

When the strings are so low (or truss rod needs adjustment) that the vibrating strings rub on one or more frets below the depression point. It's generally considered a flaw...unless, of course, you like it!

9. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

Yeah I know what fret buzz is but I do consider it a flaw and always try to avoid it

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

fret buzz is the new sexy, IMHO!:cool: