1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vintage SG weirdness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 3234718, Aug 6, 2013.

1. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

The description only says vintage 70's Gibson SG. No more details. Is that the hipshot supertone bridge? It kinda looks like it's on backwards. The pickguard looks strange too.
    [​IMG]
  2. heliotropic

heliotropic Supporting Member

Looks like an EB-0L. Is it long scale?
  3. offhand35

offhand35 Supporting Member

Well, I found a "1971" Gibson EBO listed at GC in MI that has the same pg. Hmmmm, is this the same one you are looking at? All the others that I have seen, both vintage and recent do not have that moon cutout on the bottom of the pg. That bridge looks like some one tried to jury rig an incorrect modern replacement. Hipshot does offer one for the older EBO's, and I would expect it to fit properly.
  4. 3234718

[DEL]Looks shortscale to me.
    [/DEL]
    Guess not

Yeah i have a 2012 SG and there's no weird cutout in the PG like that.
    It's in the Roseville, MI store but doesn't say 1971, just 70s.
  5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

The pickguard cutout at the bottom is right for a 72ish bass, which this is given the pickup placement - though looking at it now, it seems to go too far up towards the horn.

Here is the flyguitars page for the 72 EBO
  6. offhand35

offhand35 Supporting Member

7. FrednBass

FrednBass

Looks like someone swaped the neck for a long-scale and had to place the bridge farther back to compensate.
  8. FrednBass

FrednBass

Just found out: It's an EB-4
  9. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

It's a EBO-L
    They made them 1970-1977
    With a Hipshot bridge
  10. pharaohamps

pharaohamps Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Disaster Area Amps
    It's an EB-0. That is the Supertone bridge, but it's the 2-point version. The 3-point is longer in front to cover the bushing for the front bolt, and the 2-point doesn't need that.

Supertone Two-Point

It is almost certainly long scale, based on the bridge position and the number of frets.

They started with the 3-point bridge in '73, so it's that old at least.
  11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Yes I agree
  12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

13. FrednBass

FrednBass

14. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

EB-0L's werent all slotted headstocks, they stopped the slotted headstocks in like 1971 or around then, so there are both versions.

i think the L versions had the bridge back that far so this is probably a early/mid 70s EB-0L.

if you arent gonna buy this please tell me where its located cause id like to buy it if the price is right haha!
  15. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

its the same one, theres another one on GC.com vintage section that looks mislabeled too.

i hate when basses get mislabeled because now i have to call them and find out what the damn scale length is haha.
  16. iiipopes

iiipopes

For one or two years, Gibson did make this exact instrument. It is stock. It is long scale. It does have the mudbucker down aways. The bridge is a drop-in replacement, and the bridge cover is not there. The original probably had the bar bridge, or the bass tune-o-matic with nylon inserts, which I don't care for, either. It is, as set forth above, an EB0-L. It is not an EB-4 because it doesn't have the switch.

If I had the cash, it wouldn't be the subject of this thread.
  17. 3234718

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the brilliant GC employee you get on the phone doesn't know what bass scale length means.
  18. adamafurious

adamafurious Supporting Member

^That's my bass in the link. I really dig mine. Been playing it nonstop ;)
    And ya, yours looks original except for the Supertone. Let us know how you like it if you end up grabbing it!
  19. 3234718

If only I had the dough. I have a new SG that's the only bass I've been playing recently. I'm trying to thin the herd down to just the SG. But if anyone's interested in this one, it's in the Roseville Michigan GC for 600 bucks which is pretty good, assuming it's in good condition. (I don't work for guitar center)
  20. adamafurious

adamafurious Supporting Member

Hahaa...right on. I certainty understand that. My '06 SG has been my main player for a few years now. However, I think now that I have the '72, it'll be moving to the 2nd position :D