Vintage style split P bass pup with strong low end?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ric426, Nov 24, 2013.

1. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

I'm kinda new to P basses so I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere and I just didn't find the info. I've got a Road Worn P bass that I'm pretty happy with except that the sound thins out below low A on the E string. You can still hear the notes but they lose that nice girth that P basses are known for. I've tried several different kinds of strings and even swapped a different neck and bridge onto the bass, but it didn't help. I'm assuming that the pickup is the problem. This one is wound on plastic bobbins, so it's not a Fender '62 pickup that has come on some of the Road Worn P basses. This is probably a generic MIM pickup or some sort.

I definitely want to keep the old school vintage style sound rather than a modern edgy tone. I can't afford to just buy and sell a bunch of different pickups trying to find "the one", so I'd appreciate some guidance to narrow down the candidates. Are there any that tend to have a stronger low end without getting muddy?

2. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

The P pickup I have tried with the most low end is the Seymour Duncan Antiquity II.
    If budget is tight, I would also recommend the DiMarzio DP250, it is a newer pickup from Dimarzio but it sounds amazing regardless of the price point. This little guy holds court with the biggest names in the pickup biz, Lollar, Fralin, SD, Aguilar...

3. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

The fender '62 RI sounds great. Lots of love for the Bill Lawrence P46 too. I have one but not installed so can't comment on the sound. Keep searching the forum - somewhere there's a thread with soundclips of several p-pups.

4. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Bill Lawrence (RIP) P46

Good Luck!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bolophonic

bolophonic

The Fender '62 Reissue is a great pickup and an unbeatable value, but what are you playing the RW through?

7. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist Supporting Member

I have both the '62 original and the BL P-46. The P-46 has a stronger and tighter bottom end than the '62. The P -46 is more of a Hi-Fi sound (balanced midrange) while the '62 is total vintage (slight scoop and growly). The P-46 is better at cutting through the mix with greater output than the '62, but I find the sound somewhat boring, perhaps because it is so equally balanced compared to the '62. However those who have converted to the P-46 swear by them, as the sound is more versatile than the '62..... but I still love the '62.

8. Alexio58

Alexio58

Seymour duncan Steve Harris signature pickup is pretty affordable and has te classic P-bass tone with added lows and power. Listen to Iron Maidens track "El Dorado" if you want to know what it sounds like.

9. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

The SD Antiquity pickups are generally less mid-driven than most split style P pickups without being simply hot.