Vintage V4B owners, how do YOU set your EQ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 96tbird, Feb 11, 2013.

1. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

If you go straight in?

2. nysbob

nysbob

I run mine boost switches off, mid switch centered, and tones between 12 and 1 o'clock, depending on the environment...there are some situations where I might push the mids and highs a little more, but not much.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

When I had mine, this except a little more boost on the bass and mids, maybe 1-2:30 range most of the time with treble at noon. Pretty much how I run my SVT now as well. Maybe less bass and more mids on the SVT vs more bass less mids on the V4.

4. nysbob

nysbob

A lot is going to depend on your cab. I run mine through 15"s with no tweets, so....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. throbbinnut

throbbinnut

Ultra switches off, Mid switch on 300Hz, Bass at 12 o'clock, middle at 1 o'clock, treble at 12 o'clock. Tone on my bass turned at least halfway down.

Chris

7. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Everything about 1:00, no bass or treble boost, center the mid switch. P bass with flats.

8. 96tbird

Cool, keep it coming I see a trend that I seem to fit in but i can't get my vol to 1 o'clock ^ I'm assuming you can't either. It just seems I'm never happy and tweaking, yet it sounds better than anything I have ever played through. I've never tried an SVT tho'; I don't know anyone that gas one around here. I dint know anyone With a v4 either! Everyone loves my tone tho' and wants to buy my head so I must be doing it right. Thanks for your input!

9. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Here ya go. My bass (Fender Roscoe Beck V) is pretty bright so I compensate a little. Plus, I always start at flat EQ in every room and work from there. But it lands somewhere around this. I use input 2 mostly. I usually run a sealed old 4-10 with no tweeter but modern replacement drivers instead of the old CTS square backs. (They simply couldn't handle any volume.)

Attached Files:

10. 96tbird

I find it interesting that some people actually use the ultra low switch. I don't find it useful at all. I guess the cab design must play into that. Plus you all seem to really boost bass. Again likely cabs. I bought mine 25 years ago it came with a 115 traynor PA sub. Sounds awesome and never had a bit of trouble. It just can't take the bass boost, rather I cut to about 11:30.

One point I hope you all know: the 6k11 compactrons are obsolete so find some NOS and buy a pair. I got some RCA's for 15 bucks a piece.

11. nysbob

nysbob

I almost never run mine past 10 o'clock on the volume - usually around 9 or 9:30. It gets loud in a hurry...anything past 11 o'clock starts getting too distorted for my taste. I have pedals for that.

12. denton57

Yeah, 10:00 volume is about where I stop as well.

13. arthur31686

arthur31686 Supporting Member

I never got anything beyond 11:00 on the volume. Confirming what everyone else is saying. Got the grit and growl which I wanted and made a part of my sound.

The ultra low switch was turned on once right after I got the amp. Ick. Not my thing but hey if you find a way to make that tone a part of your sound then more power to you.

14. coreyfyfe

Yeah never been a fan of the ultra switches. They introduce a mid cut to give apparent boost. Not my cup of tea.

As far as volume, my amp was modded for 6550s but i never really went above 11 o'clock on the volume knob as it was just getting dirtier at that point.

15. 96tbird

Ok I'm in the same boat volume wise: 10:30ish max. Good to know that mine behaves like everyone else's. I like the ultra high and a slight cut on the knob: probably driver related. The ultra low sucks detail out for sure.

How about new prod. 7027a's? Any input on quality, longevity? I'm running Soviet 6P3S-e as an experiment and they seem good so far, maybe a bit colder sounding max vol. At 8$ each i just had to try them. I still have the original Magnavox pristine 7027s stashed, looking at the alternatives instead of burning them again.

16. nysbob

nysbob

I'm running JJ 7027s with no issues yet. Mine had RCA 7027s that were at least 20 years old when I got it - they were definitely getting a little tired so the JJs went in 2 years ago.

17. denton57

I ran JJs but had a tube failure. I bought another matched pair and ran with it for a few months. Then I scored some NOS groove tube 7027's that are Sylvanias I believe. Bought them from Aspen Pittman himself when he put some on eBay.

I am really happy with the head right now with my P. It has the tone I have been searching for since I started playing 20 years ago. I just bought a V4 cab for it.. Can't wait to hear it with a sealed 4x12! :)

18. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    Nobody seems to have mentioned this but I Y-jack both inputs. They have very distinctive tone differences and independent volumes so it's easy to blend a really nice clean/gritty-tubey sound.

19. coreyfyfe

They shouldn't on a V4. The two inputs are identical and they go into the same EQ. If you have different tubes in the first two 12AX7 slots or the parts have aged differently then that could explain them sounding different, but circuit wise they're identical.

20. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    My V4B has different tones on ch. 1 and ch. 2