1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vintage Video Games Wayyyy Overpriced

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ggvicviper, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

So, here's the deal. I was just looking at some old school games as I'm continuing to build the collection for my new basement music room and classic game cave. Back in 2006, I purchased an NES game called Gun Nac. Back then - not that it was THAT long ago mind you - they were regularly going for about $5 to $10, and they weren't very common. I got mine for $10 total, including shipping, off eBay. Excellent condition.

Today, I searched for Gun Nac on eBay: copies are now going for $100+, and there are more copies than when I bought mine:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313&_nkw=gun nac nes&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Also, things like Bonk's Adventure, Bubble Bobble 2 or Snow Bros. for the NES. If the amount of copies on eBay is any indication, it's not really THAT rare. Yet people are charging $200+ a copy:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...m570.l1313&_nkw=bonk's adventure nes&_sacat=0
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=snow bros nes&_sacat=0
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk....m570.l1313&_nkw=bubble bobble 2 nes&_sacat=0

Also, check out the chart on the side about how game prices on the NES have climbed recently:
    http://videogames.pricecharting.com/console/nes?sort-by=name

Why are NES games that aren't that rare so overpriced these days? Why are really common SNES games routinely $30+ on the used market? How come Atari and Sega stuff has stayed relatively cheap? What happened to the days when you could just find all this stuff at garage sales for $2?
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Yeah, I was looking for N64 games not that long ago. I was shocked to see some of the more popular titles going for $30+
    Shoot, I can buy used PS3 games for a fraction of that cost...
  3. ggvicviper

Funny! I unsuccessfully tried to get Mario Party on eBay the other day. Even that ended over $20. Ridiculous.
  4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I remember going garage sale shopping with my mom when I was a kid, and we would pick up used NES and SNES games for $1-$5. It was awesome :)
  5. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

Try going to a store that specializes in vintage/retro games, if possible.

If you don't have one nearby, this is a local store for me, but you can order online from them. They usually have fair prices on most games. http://gameovervideogames.com/
  6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Slap "vintage" in front of something, and it's bound to be overpriced.

Except hookers, I guess. Nobody wants vintage hookers.
  7. ThatBassistDude

ThatBassistDude Supporting Member

I've been collecting classic video games for years, I get all of mine from flea markets, try those!
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

It's a fad that will soon pass.

-Mike
  9. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Not to go off topic, but new games are ridiculously overpriced too. 60-100 bucks for xbox games is kinda silly.
  10. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

Or you could, ya know, always download emulator/roms and map a gamepad. :bag:
  11. ggvicviper

Not bad after giving a quick skim.

Unfortunately in NYC, we don't have too many of those swap meet types of things. Our flea markets are pretty commercial.

There are 360 games for $100?
  12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

I tend to agree, but that's not far off the price that console games used to be decades ago. When you count in inflation, that relatively flat price means they're more affordable.
  13. MatticusMania

GTA V is the only game Ive bought new, and it was well worth the $60.
    All other games have cost me less than $15 with shipping.
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

If you have some particular ones you want, let me know. I'll track them down for you and for a reasonable price. You provided me hours of fun with the games you created for us, so I'll repay the favor.

-Mike
  15. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I agree. I wanted to get a SNES and a few games and backed away.
  16. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Special editions and such.
  17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

Wow, some of those prices are outrageous. I watch the Angry Video Game Nerd a lot, and he sometimes talks about the prices of rare games.
  18. ggvicviper

Wow, I can't believe someone here remembers me for that!
    I appreciate the offer, I may take you up on it. I am continuing to create games, so keep an eye out!
  19. MatticusMania

I was looking for Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
    It was at least $30 online, going up to about $70.
    DwaynieD sent me his copy and all I had to do was buy a $10 tshirt. :smug:

Thanks Dwaynie!
  20. ggvicviper

This Angry Video Game Nerd?

[​IMG]

This is a shot of him in 2008. He's playing a game I directed and was the lead programmer on: Webs of Destruction.