Violin bass action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

It's a Douglas fretless violin bass from rondomusic.
    http://www.rondomusic.com/WVEB833vsfl.html
    The neck is straight and the bridge screws are almost bottomed out. The action isn't unplayable or even uncomfortable really but it would be nice if it was lower. Do I have any options?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Bottom out that bridge. It looks like that's the only adjustment you can make.
  3. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    That action looks really, really low, what more do you want? You could have someone modify the bridge, but...

Also: don't have unrealistic expectations for a cheap instrument.
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you have enough clearance near the nut that lowering the bridge and strings farther is practical, I'd be tempted to remove the bridge, tape some sandpaper onto a curved surface that's similar to the curve of the body, then sand off some of the depth on the bridge base. You can always raise the thumbwheels...but if the base were thinner, you could get the bridge lower.

The cost of the bass is not relevant, even though some might be snobby and say you can't expect much from any low-cost bass. All that's needed is some luthier skills....and a piece of sandpaper.
  5. Register to disable this ad