Virginia Bass Forum Slap Bass Clinic

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by phillybass101, Feb 21, 2013.

1. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Fellow TBers, yours truly has been invited to give a Slap Bass Clinic for the Virginia Bass Forum on Sunday June 2nd, 2013 in Fredericksburg, VA at 2pm. The clinic will be targeted for beginners and experienced players who want to learn how to slap. Experienced slappers are welcome as well but this will not be a Master Class so no sharp shooters please. There are plenty of players out there who want to learn how to slap but have never had some one sit down with them and really show and explain how it's done. If you can't slap and want to learn how, I can get you on the right path. So c'mon out support the Virginia Bass Forum and a fellow TBer.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Dang! Too far up north for me. Let me know when you're in my neighborhood!

3. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Certainly will DW. I know 'were both into the same kind of music. I'm bringing the FUNK back to slap bass.

4. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Yessir! Keep the funk alive!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Wow I see 102 views in a day. I hope we can pack the house.

My info: Sorry for being so long:

Walt (Nobody Funks Like Finn) Finnerty.

Currently an Endorsing Artist for Brubaker Guitars Walt has been playing electric bass for 42 years. He has played in many venues all over the world as a sideman to include Germany, Japan, Hawaii and the U.S.. He was born and raised in West Philly into in a musical family as his father (Walt Sr) was a local Jazz Musician. (Tenor Sax). Every Sunday his father would host jam sessions at the Finnerty residence. Walt picked up the Electric bass at age 15. He started with formal lessons from Classical Guitarist Jack Leonard using Simandl and Hindemith methods as study material. That lasted a whole 18 months. Walt says when he heard Larry Graham and Graham Central Station his life changed forever. He stopped taking lessons and has been self taught up until recently. Walt has re-dedicated himself to his craft and is now studying with the great Jazz Bassist Tyrone Brown. Although exposed to many forms of music Walt’s music of choice and forte’ to play is FUNK.

The Slap Bass Clinic is targeted for beginner and experienced players who cannot slap but want to learn the basic mechanics and techniques for Thumping and Plucking. This clinic is also for players who think they can slap a little bit but do not have command of the technique. That is, if you can slap but can’t hold a groove while you slap, then this is for you. This is not a Master Class but experienced Slappers are also welcome to come out and provide support.. This will be a hands- on clinic with much class participation and playing. This will not be a clinic where folks just watch a guy play and hang out for a bit. This will be a teaching event where students can get up close and personal and really learn HOW TO. And all students are more than welcome to come up, touch Walt’s gear and basses and play them.

I will have both of my Brutes with me, my Geddy Lee Jazz, and possibly a surprise new addition to the family a Custom Made Brubaker KXB5. And my Puma500 Bass Head. So c'mon out. I'm not one of those guys who say you can't touch my stuff.

7. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    From the man himself:

"Walt Finnerty is a rock-solid player and a great hang. He knows how to deliver the funk!"

-Adam Nitti

8. Tupac

Tupac

Too far north for me too! I'm down in Newport News (next to Norfolk)

9. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Howdy neighbor!

10. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
  11. ittakes6

ittakes6

Should we be bring our own bass with us to the clinic? I am excited and looking forward to learning!!!

12. ittakes6

ittakes6

13. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Note that while this is an old thread .. the date on the link posted by PB101 has a date of March 16, 2014.