Virtual Hot Sounds Cook-Off Challenge

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PrietoBass, Jan 11, 2013.

1. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that? Supporting Member

Calling all iOS Bassists!

If you are using any iOS bass sim (JamUp, Amplitube, AmpKit, Pocket GK, etc) you may be interested in participating in the "Virtual Hot Sounds Cook-Off Challenge".

What is it?
    a) A very selfish way for me to get plenty of sound/tone ideas for the cost of a bass lesson.
    b) An opportunity for iOS bassists to share with the TB community your iOS recorded sounds, and to learn from one another.
    c) A chance to win!
    d) All of the above.

Why?
    There's been plenty of activity related to iOS amp sims in TB. Please visit the following threads:
    • Official Virtual AMPEG Portaflex Club
    • The iOS bass player thread, PART II. (Jamup XT, Audiobus, Multitrack DAW and more)
    • iOS, iPhone, iPad and music 101
    As technology improves, amps get smaller, cabs get lighter, people get older and tired of hauling all of those 50-100+ lbs cabs and heads, virtual amp simulation all of a sudden looks more and more interesting. But is it useful? It is ready for prime-time?

You be the judge (and have fun participating!).

This is how you participate:
    1) Record your favorite tone/sound. No you won't be judged on your ability to play... what we are interested in is in the sound/tone that you can get out of your iOS rig. Upload your recording to either SoundCloud or YouTube.
    2) Take screen captures of your iOS amp sim settings (amp, effects, etc). No it cannot be "bass at 3, mids at 11, treble at 1". Screen caps or it didn't happen. Consult with the experts on the aforementioned threads on how to get a screen capture of your iOS device if you don't know how. No screen caps means it didn't happen. ;)
    3) Write a short blurb telling us how are you using your iOS rig, where are you using it, how has it impacted your playing, practice routine, etc. No, we don't care about your spelling.
    4) Right on this thread, post your blurb, your screen caps, and the link to your SoundCloud/YouTube sound sample.

Additional rules:
    1) Up to five (5) entries per participant.
    2) Only post participating entries to this thread! Thank you! Ask questions on any of the above iOS threads.
    3) Open voting. Meaning anyone on TB can participate and vote. Top ten entries nominated and then I'll create a forum survey for each category. Entry with most votes in each category wins.
    4) Honor rule. Don't be a cheater... use only iOS amp sims. It's ok to record anywhere but no effects outside of what iOS tools within the bass sim of your choice provides. If you use an iOS recorder and apply some effects while mixing please disclose it (it won't disqualify you).
    5) You can record any tone, but Ampeg B-15 entries that impress JimmyM will get "bonus points" (Disclaimer: all rights reserved as to how many points I'll give, depending on the mood I'm in that day. :D ) Why? We started the Virtual Ampeg Portaflex Club because of AT's B-15 virtual amp.
    6) If your iOS solution (chain, effects) is ingenious enough to impress Steve Rolfeca, you get "bonus points". How many points? (see #5 disclaimer above).
    7) I won't promise this will be an objective contest, but it will/should be fun! :hyper:
    8) If we need additional rules, or change the ones we already have I'll let you know as we go. :D

When:
    The contest ends February 14, 2013.

Prizes:
    • Best Tone Category - a 6 issue subscription to tombowlus' Bass Gear Magazine. (Why? Because he had the courtesy of dropping by one of the threads and mention that they are going to review some of these iOS sims and gear).
    • Best Technical Solution - your virtual rig/chain is so cool and perhaps helps solve a very common problem (something like that) - a 5 string DR FatBeams set.
    • 2nd best Tone Category and 2nd Best Technical Solution - honorable mention on this thread, a virtual pat on your back, and we'll send you on your way!
    • All participants receive automatic bragging rights for having participated in the virtual cook-off! ;)

Ready? Set. Go! May the best tone (or tech solution) win! :bassist:
  2. BluesMan845

BluesMan845

sub'd ;)

I'm working on a "top secret" sauce for this competition ;)
  3. adambomb

adambomb

Bingo
  4. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Positive Grid Beta tester
  5. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

+1

5sg.
  6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I've got something special I'm whipping up for the occasion, too!! :)

You think we have enough chairs?
  7. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    Now I just need to learn to make a screen shot on my phone. I am in though.
  8. adambomb

adambomb

Taking a screen shot of iPhone iPad or iTouch:
    Push the power button, also called the standby button (the button at the top next to the headphone jack) and the home button below the screen at the same time and a camera sound will be made and your screen shot will be found in you photos folder
  9. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Did this thread die?
  10. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    No, just waiting for submissions. This thread is for our links to our clips. We talk about the other crap elsewhere.
  11. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
  12. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Here lets get the ball rolling. Here is my first post of 5. Now everyone else post something. I do not know how to post more than 2 pictures so I will post the last effect in the next post. (Edit) I Am not playing in a band anymore or live so I am only using these apps for my personal pleasure. I have passion of making music and these apps have allowed me to do this. I had a nice settup on a computer I had but it crashed. So these apps have allowed me to get back to recording ideas at a much better price point and still getting a better in most cases sound quality compared to what I had before.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  13. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    the other effect to the chain above. (Edit) I am sure you can tell from the clip above that I am using a pick until the last 3rd of it where I switched to the fingers. (re-edit) I uploaded a pick of the bass I used to play this clip (my J style) both pups and tone at max.
  14. adambomb

adambomb

15. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Great tone, very clean. Really sounds like a GK.
  16. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Sound like a GK indeed.

Btw, talking GK and pick playing, do Duff use a light or heavy pick?
  17. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    To me it sounds like a heavey pick at least from the GnR days, but not sure.
  18. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    You know, I play with a rather heavy pick but my style is quite "rare". Duff have his bass quite low and my guess heavy pick with a good extension of the tip. I have only 1-2mm of the pick in front of my thump, index and middle finger.
  19. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    You sound like me. I do not let a lot of the pick extend out. Not sure if this is on purpose or because I bang the strings so hard it drives the pick into me fingers.
  20. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that? Supporting Member

Thank you for your submission! As a reminder, please include a short blurb saying how you are using this technology, or how has it helped your playing, etc (see the rules).

You really don't have to, but let me remind everyone that just maximum number of votes won't get you the award... bonus points coming from designated folks count... and mine too. :D

Also, let's all keep in mind "additional rule #2", so the submissions don't get lost in the thread (assuming many entries are submitted).

The contest ends on the 14th at midnight, meaning all submissions with a time stamp before the midnight of the 14/15th will be considered. We'll nominate, create a poll, and vote. I'll assign any (if any) bonuses and announce the winners.

:bassist: