Visiting Ocala Florida; can you suggest any activities or clubs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jim C, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Will be in Ocala visiting friends and wanted to see if anyone here had suggestions of things to check out.
    The Don Garlit's museum is at the top of the list although not so sure the GF or her sister will be as enthused.

Any cool clubs or music stores to check out?
    Other stuff?
    TIA
  2. capnjim

capnjim

Drive out a bit to Homosassa. One of the last true spots for native Florida ecology. I brought my family there in January and it was wonderfull! Go swim with a Manatee. Absolutely amazing!!! We spent an entire week exploring rivers and had no desire to seek out the tourist parts of Florida.
    If you are into relaxed non-tourist stuff, check out the Chassahowitzka River. 40 bucks gets you a day on a rowboat in what has to be one of the most beautiful unspoiled parts of the entire planet.
  3. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight

Ocala's pretty dreary. If you can make your way down south to Weekiwachi springs you'll have a good time for an afternoon or so.
  4. capnjim

capnjim

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oniman7

oniman7

ha, Ocala.

Of interest to you, a not too far away is a town called Cassadega. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassadaga,_Florida

Basically a very large spiritualist settlement.
    Even further is Saint Augustine, where I live. The nation's oldest city and the historic downtown area is absolutely beautiful. Right on the water, lots of good stuff to eat, live music playing all the time. But that's a few hours north. You can also consider DeLand and Daytona.

But I don't have familiarity with the Ocala area itself.
  7. Steve

Steve Supporting Member

I'm not sure id it's still there but if it is...The frontier Dance Hall is just about as old Florida redneck as you will find and can be a real good time.

DO NOT leave any food in your car in the parking lot. The local bears will destroy your car to get at it.

Seriously.
  8. oniman7

oniman7

I've lived in Florida 15 years and never saw a bear until I went to Tennessee.
  9. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Silver Springs theme park is just outside the Ocala National Forest.

Rides, nature, and concerts:
    Easton Corbin February 23, 2013
    Joan Jett April 13, 2013
    Joe Diffie March 2, 2013
    Night Ranger May 25, 2013
    Sammy Kershaw March 2, 2013
    Kansas May 25, 2013
    Creedence Clearwater Revisited March 9, 2013
    Josh Turner June 15, 2013
    Jamey Johnson March 23, 2013
    KC and The Sunshine Band July 4, 2013
  10. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

Ocala is one huge forest. Been thru there several times. Don't think there's much going on aside from the nature aspect.
  11. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    I spent my whole life in Florida up until 2 and a half years ago. I guarantee there is a lot of wild Florida left, but you are correct if you go to one of the major cities you wouldn't know it. There are tons of great, unspoiled spots all around north central Florida. Don't forget Florida is a huge state and Tampa, Orlando, Miami/Ft Lauderdale/ West Palm, Jacksonville are only a relatively small part of it. Still tons more to see. I miss being able to float down the springs around Gainesville.
  12. bjabass

bjabass

I grew up in SW Fla. and left many years ago. I agree with you guys who are suggesting the natural attractions. Mickey Mouse nearly destroyed the state and I feel sorry for everyone who goes to Orlando and thinks that is Florida. Went to Silver Springs again about 5 years ago. The park is run down but the river, spring and the grounds are still amazing.

If you want a feel for how old coastal Florida was, try Amelia Island north of Jax or Boca Grande on the west coast south of Sarasota.
  13. Steve

Steve Supporting Member

You've never been to Ocala..have you?

http://www.google.com/search?q=ocal...50,d.eWU&fp=72e895a0a2a241ac&biw=1440&bih=787

I have a friend that just put a cabin on about 80 acres in Keystone heights. He's a big hunter dude and has game cameras all over. His place is flippin' over run with bears. I wouldn't even think about walking around that ground without a 12 gauge in my hands.
  14. oniman7

oniman7

I've been but never stayed more than a day. My girlfriend lives in Julington Creek and had a brown bear go right through her yard. I know they're here. But I've never seen one.
  15. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Meant to thank you guys for all the suggestions.
    BTW, there are billions of old people in retirement communities hacking away at golf courses. Tragiaclly, not my cup of tea.