1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

VM Fretless J Bass Neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ajgus, Feb 16, 2014.

1. ajgus

ajgus

Hello bass players, bassists & bass playerists!
    I'm hoping someone might able to lend their expertise. I'm contemplating a build (assembly) utilizing a Squier Vintage Modified JBass Fretless body & an MIJ '75RI neck (standard spec). It is my understanding that the VMJF typically has a neck/pocket that is slightly larger than a other models. I'm wondering if a resident VMJF owner might be able to take some measurements of the heel for me, around the 20th fret or so? I'm just curious to see exactly how much gap would exist between the two. For what it's worth, the MIJ neck is 2-7/16" wide at the heel. Thank you in advance for any help you can lend!

-ajgus
  2. awilkie84

awilkie84

I've never noticed a pocket difference. Maybe someone else has?
  3. ajgus

ajgus

I've read that people who attempted to fit the VMJF neck on other bodies have found that it requires some convincing. I'm just hoping for some concrete numbers.
  4. Bintang

Bintang Supporting Member

My VM Fretless neck measures 2 17/32" at fret 20
  5. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

I no longer have my VMJF, but when I bought a Mighty Mite neck for it, I actually had to sand down the neck a bit to fit in the pocket.
  6. ajgus

ajgus

Thank you for that info! Appreciate all of your help guys!