1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

VM Jaguar vs PJ vs P Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klooge, Dec 9, 2013.

1. klooge

klooge

Hi folks. I am yet another guitarist looking to pick up a decent bass to play on the side and fill in the low end when needed, so I admittedly don't really know what I'm talking about. Forgive me if this topic has already been addressed, and please feel free to just point me to a good existing thread rather than reinventing the wheel here. I've had trouble pinning down the exact answer to this question.

My budget for a new bass falls inline with the VM series of basses - under $400. I love the iconic rich bass sound of Precision Bass for 90% of my music. I also like the idea of versatility to switch to the more mid-heavy, soulful sound of the Jazz. I've noticed that the VM Jaguar has both the P and J pickups, but does it do either really well? How much of a noticeable difference between the Jag's P pickup vs a VM P Bass? How about the J pickup? I may be making a gross assumption that those pickups are meant to emulate those two basses. Does the VM PJ do a better job at this? I'm guessing that the Jag is not a replacement for buying both a P and a J, but does it come close?

I intend to go to the store and line them all up to play side-by-side, but haven't gotten to that yet.

Any thoughts are really appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Ironbar

Ironbar

I can't speak to the Jag or PJ VM Squier. I have a VM Jazz. I find that simply dialing down the tone, and using only the neck PU gives that warm P bass-like sound. I can further tweak that by using the tone controls on my amp.

I've found that even when dialing down the tone on the bridge PU, it's still a bit on the twangy side.

So, in essence I've found that I can get the tone(s) I want with the better playability of a jazz bass.