VM Jaguar vs PJ vs P Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klooge, Dec 9, 2013.

1. klooge

klooge

Hi folks. I am yet another guitarist looking to pick up a decent bass to play on the side and fill in the low end when needed, so I admittedly don't really know what I'm talking about. Forgive me if this topic has already been addressed, and please feel free to just point me to a good existing thread rather than reinventing the wheel here. I've had trouble pinning down the exact answer to this question.

My budget for a new bass falls inline with the VM series of basses - under $400. I love the iconic rich bass sound of Precision Bass for 90% of my music. I also like the idea of versatility to switch to the more mid-heavy, soulful sound of the Jazz. I've noticed that the VM Jaguar has both the P and J pickups, but does it do either really well? How much of a noticeable difference between the Jag's P pickup vs a VM P Bass? How about the J pickup? I may be making a gross assumption that those pickups are meant to emulate those two basses. Does the VM PJ do a better job at this? I'm guessing that the Jag is not a replacement for buying both a P and a J, but does it come close?

I intend to go to the store and line them all up to play side-by-side, but haven't gotten to that yet.

Any thoughts are really appreciated. Thanks!

2. Ironbar

Ironbar

I can't speak to the Jag or PJ VM Squier. I have a VM Jazz. I find that simply dialing down the tone, and using only the neck PU gives that warm P bass-like sound. I can further tweak that by using the tone controls on my amp.

I've found that even when dialing down the tone on the bridge PU, it's still a bit on the twangy side.

So, in essence I've found that I can get the tone(s) I want with the better playability of a jazz bass.