VM Jazz pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dweezilmeister, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Dweezilmeister

Dweezilmeister

Hi fellow bass players.

I got a nice Squier VM modified which I like a lot.

My only problem is that I have to keep both pickups volume balanced together at all time to avoid humming...
    It seems to be only from the bass (tunrned off every computer, CFL lamps, use a battery amp to isolate myself from the AC line)

I'm thinking the pickups could be improved. Do you have any suggestion for passive pickups in the 100$-200$ range that could help me with getting more tone control?

Thanks
  2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Single coil pickups hum. That's just how it is. You can shield the cavity with coper foil to cut it down dramatically. Different single coils won't be any better.
  3. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

Qualifier: it should only be a relatively minor hum, and only bothersome in venues that have noisy wiring, old fluorescent fixtures, etc.

If you've got a really major hum/buzz that's close to or exceeds the actual bass signal, then you might have a bad cord, or the bass might have a grounding problem.

The single-coil hum shouldn't be a major problem for live work, at least in most venues.

Of course, if you're a "noise weenie" like me, you can always pick up a set of DiMarzio Ultra Jazz or other n/c pickups.
  4. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Yeah, that's a problem with Jazz basses in general, because of the single coil pickups and the way they're wired, it's not exclusive to Squiers. Changing pickups won't help unless you get noiseless ones, but a lot of folks who have tried them say they don't sound as good as regular single coils. In that case you have to decide between which is more important to you, less noise and not so good tone, or some noise and good tone.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dweezilmeister

Dweezilmeister

Thanks for your fast responses.

Looks like, I wont jump right away to upgrade my pups.