1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

VM TELECASTER SPECIAL First impressions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by travhop42, Aug 2, 2013.

1. travhop42

travhop42

I just bought a new Squier VM Telcaster Bass Special in blonde.
    299 at Guitar Center online

I have owned about 15 basses in my lifetime. Playing off and on since late 70's.

This is my first impressions and I will update this later and add some pics if anybody wants to see it.

I love the look of this bass and was intrigued with the pickups and how it would sound. It arrived needing the truss rod tightened and the bridge pickup looked like someone went on break in the middle of installation. After a few minor adjustment tweaks it was ready to go. There are also sections on the body that the darker wood is bleeding thru. I kind of like this flaw?

The sound:
    I took it to practice and I turned the mids on my amp all the way down, bass and treble all the way up. Sounded fat and creamy sort of like a Gibson SG ( I owned one for a short time). The only setting I liked it on was the 2 pickup selection. Neck pickup too muddy by itself. If it didn't have the single coil bridge pickup this bass would be going back. It brings the tone alive combined with the neck pickup. The sound really cut thru the mix as good as any bass I have ever played.

Playability and balance:
    This dude is heavy. Probably 10-11 pounds. Balance though is excellent. No lean or neck dive at all. This is the first time I have played a maple fretboard in 30 years and I really liked it. Neck felt very easy to play and did not feel like a short scale bass. Body shape works on this bass.

Thanks if anybody has questions or comments please post.
  2. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

Beautiful looking bass, especially the blonde, but the weight concerns me. Probably a bit heavier than I would want to wear. I wish each pup by itself was more usable, but for the price it looks like a fantastic deal! Enjoy!
  3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

pics man pics
  4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money... Supporting Member

It doesn't feel like a short scale bass because it isn't one. It's medium scale. ;)

I noticed on some web sites that it's listed at 10.25 pounds. Yikes!

I went to GC and Sam Ash to try to play one but no luck. There wasn't one in sight. And my local Sam Ash is "Squier Central" They have more Squiers than the Squier web site!

From the one video I saw of it (by Fender) it sounds like a very versatile bass. I'd still like to actually get to play one though.
  5. BassHappy

BassHappy

Another slight corrrection.

It has no fretboard, the frets are pressed directly into the maple neck.

I personally, would want to check out the bass through my amp flat first, and kind of dial it in from there - rather than pulling out all the mids as a matter of course.

But that is just me. To each his own!

Best,

BassHappy
  6. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

i'd be VERY surprised if this beast had a 1-piece neck.
    just about everything short of the MIA's have 2 piece necks, neck and fingerboard, even if the FB is maple like the neck.
  7. BassHappy

BassHappy

Surprises can be fun!

I have two, one Squire VM Tele bass and the Squire VM Tele Bass neck I got off Ebay.

The babies are boardless....

What fun they are!

Best,

BassHappy
  8. pizzazombie

pizzazombie

EWWWWWW
  9. billiam5billion

billiam5billion

I'm looking at the specs on the Squier website and it lists a separate neck and fretboard. Just sayin'.
  10. BassHappy

BassHappy

Howdy

Well, I bought the single pickup model as below, this is my bass before the mods which are in progress:

[​IMG]

I also bought the neck of another one exactly like this one, I think it is the "standard"model?

We are both talking about the same bass, right? The Vintage Modified Telecaster bass, which is medium scale?

Maybe the two pickup model has a fret board and that is where the confusion lies. Not really sure, but here is one of the two necks:

[​IMG]

You can see there is no fingerboard. Maybe it comes both ways depending on the model or something.

Best,

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

BassHappy
  11. grenadilla

grenadilla

In 60s Fender catalogs would say "maple neck" and it would be not a separate 'board. I don't know when they changed... That big Mudbucker on the VM Telecaster Special can be easily modified by separating two of the four wires and connecting them along with the other two wires at the pot (or switch- see other post in Pickups section). This will make it two single coils in parallel for a Precision -like tone.
  12. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

is there a skunk stripe on the back of the neck?
    no skunk stripe = neck and 'board
    skunk stripe = 1 piece neck
  13. BassHappy

BassHappy

Yes, there is a skunk stripe on both!

Best,

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net
  14. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    You might want to re-EQ your setting. Scooping out all the mids and jacking the other two just make it un natural. Try adding some mids and taking the treble out and the bridge will have some more oomph. The neck is more than usable...love the sound if it. Play with the settings. I played one here at a shop and loved both pickups, I had to have them adjust the bridge pickup so it an equal output(it was too low). I'm thinking of getting one in black.
  15. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

If I ever pull the trigger on one of these, it will come from either Mom&Pop up the street or Sweetwater. I've never heard of a poorly setup bass coming from Sweetwater.

Too bad about the hefty weight. Maybe they make sure to use heavier bodies to assist in correcting neck dive.
  16. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    The one I tried at the shop here was a bit chunky, but balanced on a strap very well. Neck was super easy to play.
  17. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the flying monkees show up Supporting Member

+1!
    I ALWAYS buy my innertube-puchased axes from Sweetwater!
    (Thanks Alan F.!)
    The setups are always PERFECT!
    'Just got a Squier J. Mascis Sig Jazzmaster last week. Awesome guitar!

By the way, LOVE my (modded) VM Tele Special!
    [​IMG]
  18. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Ditto props to Sweetwater.
  19. travhop42

travhop42

UPDATE:

I have decided to return this bass. I really liked it and if I was a millionaire I would keep it. I found a used Mike Dirnt Fender P bass at GC for the same price. I just thought it was a better deal. Now before everybody starts ragging me it was not because it was a "Mike Dirnt" and I know about some of the flaws (heavy, hard to adjust neck. lack of tone control etc..)but I think it sounds great and yes it is heavy but not much more than the VM Telecaster.
  20. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Has anyone had occasion to determine the neck pocket/neck heel specs of this particular instrument? I'm curious if any of the Warmoth 32" necks or short-scale bodies would be compatible with the body or neck of the VM Telecaster Special.