VMT/B3K...do i need a compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by raul, Aug 8, 2013.

1. raul

raul

planning on getting a B3K and VMT.

do i need a compressor? thinking of a DOD Milkbox. I play finger style though a P bass and into a GK 1001rbii...going for a nice big gritty growly kind of tone...kind of like old prog or postpunk or Yes and Geddy etc...

i was thinking VMT always on and then B3K for more distorted tones...and Milkbox always on to even things out...yes? good idea? too much?
  2. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Get one at a time. I do the reverse, B7K on all the time (drive all the way down) and VMT for occasional drive. The VMT gives you some compression, so I wouldn't spend money on a compressor until you try without it and feel you need one.
  3. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

+1

I haven't owned a B3k/B7k, but I have had a VMT and it is a VERY even pedal that doesn't spike like other overdrives. Darkglass are well-considered, well-designed pedals. I would definitely try them first and then look at a compressor need.

Also, I would avoid the Milk Box for that application, anyway. It's a great little compressor, but it colors your tone quite a bit and may actually get you away from the growl (IME, of course).
  4. raul

raul

so for the tones i mentioned...a B3K as an always on pedal may be better than a VMT always on? and use the VMT for those more drive moments almost like a boost? with no compressor?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

It depends on your desired sound for always on vs boost. The B3K and VMT are very different tones. One is metallic and edgy and modern, the other is dark and relaxed and, urm, vintage. I think your original idea of having the VMT on with the B3K as a drive is a good start, will just depend on how it sounds with your rig. People tend to use the B7K as an always on pedal because it is a preamp pedal that has the EQ controls the B3k doesn't have.
  7. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

:bassist:That is VERY much a taste thing. The VMT actually colors my tone less than the B3K/B7K. But I like what the B7K eq does to my sound, it can sound like a big modern mostly clean tube amp, and actually improves my note definition. The VMT is more traditional distortion-sounding. The B7K is always on in my Pink Floyd tribute band, and it can make flatwounds growl and snap like rounds, but they still sound like flats. I don't use it when I'm playing country or Americana. :)

The B3K is great for modern HEAVY distortion, but I never use that sound, so that's why I use it the way I do. If you play metal or something close to that, you would have a different take on how to use them. They are both great units, but for me, the B?K gives me a great basic sound to work with, and the VMT is for occasional spice.
  8. mouthmw

mouthmw

I play my VMT (always on) into 700RB II. There's IMO no need for a compressor since VMT does a bit of tube like compression. It evened out my tone compared to when going straight to amp. I had a B3K but I'd never use it as an always on tool shaper, but it would rock going into VMT for more aggressive drive parts. Alone it sounded too big, scooped, at certain settings too artificial, and way to aggressive into GK. YMMV.