1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vol. 1 Triad Modules question

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by progrmr, Jun 20, 2011.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Hi -

The only dumb question is a question not asked right?? please keep this in mind for the duration of this post :bag:

Going through the first module of the walking basslines Triad Modules book. You say the example will be applied to a 12-bar blues in F.

Here's the question:

Typical 12-bar blues is a I-IV-V progression, however your examples present an additional chord, the D (F, Bb, Cm, D). What is the purpose for this and why did you deviate from a traditional I-IV-V? I get it for the turn around..but not in the 8th measure replacing the one.

thanks!
  2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

This is a typical "jazz blues"....which is an easy reharm of the the 1-4-5 blues you're thinking of....they're still 12 bars each. Since walking bass is used primarily / most often in jazz then that's the blues I decided was best to use. The principals still work the same....that's the really good news.

I hope this helps.
  3. progrmr

progrmr

I figured it was something like that - I'm trying to apply the modules to the blues grooves I know already and going to the VI in the 8th measure caught me off guard.

thanks for the explanation.
  4. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

You're most certainly welcome....Have fun!!